• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RA Dickey

zamboni

He gets put in today (again) when the Twins are behind. I really would like to see him come in when they are ahead. He isn't bad, he really isn't. Why is he only used in situations that the Twins are behind, he could be a decent set-up guy

I agree, he's done a nice job. As far as not being in the game when the Twins are ahead in the late innings--- he's a KB pitcher and is likely to put men on base just because of that.

When is the last time you remember a set up pitcher that threw the KB??

I can't think of one.

Olde' RA Dickey has done a good job when called on and that's all you can ask.

ALso, it's a differnt deal being put in trailing by 3 runs, than leading by 1 ot 2. Just is. Dickey is not that kinda of pitcher.

Not much else is in the twins BP. HEck, give him a shot.

speaking of RA Dickey,,, currently in the majors, is their anyother name you want on your back for local Bar softball team??

That name is great. Right up there with Razor Shines from the 70's--- Shooty Babbage is another.

I need to get Dickey's card to go along with the above.

the trifecta. too bad Dickey doesn't have the fro.

You have to admit that RA Dickey is doing far better than when he first came to the Twins. Mauer didn't have time to catch for him before they were put in a game together.

I'll admit I wasn't impressed to begin with but I believe part of that was Mauer has never caught for a knuckle-baller thus the end result wasn't good. After watching RAD pitch in his last few outings, the guy has some good stuff. Give him his time on the mound and let him pitch.

Baker was struggling lastnight with his control but I think he can still get it together. Liriano needs more time in AAA to find himself again.

Dickey is the kind of guy that you have to have in your 'pen. He can eat innings in the middle of games, and he can go out and spot start if need be. Or go a couple innings once you get into extra innings. Every team needs a pitcher like that.

As for Baker, he is coming around nicely. Last night's start wasn't bad at all. Six hits and one walk in 6 1/3 innings. 70 strikes out of 101 pitches thrown. Baker will be just fine the rest of the season.

I was at the game this afternoon sitting 10 rows from the bullpen. I couldn't belive the a-holes that were heckling RAD. The guy wasn't even on the field and he was getting it from bandwagon Twins fans. Now if our first inning would have started out like Dickey's outing, it would have been a different game.

Sure would be nice to see RAD in the starting rotation.

I agree zamboner...Dickey has been good, real good. I think he should be given the opportunity to pitch with the lead over Henn. Saturday night really upset me.

Mudcutter, knuckleballers may put a lot of guys on base, but Dickey hasn't been putting runners on base for the last month and a half. When he gets behind in the count he throws the 72 mph heater and has been getting hitters out. I agree it is much different pitching with the lead, but you have to give him a chance. He can't be any worse then Henn or Breslow.

he was due for a tough outing. I'll give him a pass on this one. I think his best pitching is when he's outside. In the dome, his knuckler probably moves around a little less. he's done very well up to this point in my opinion. much better than I expected when they signed him.

I agree with greebs.. He gets a pass on this one. It was bound to happen. And placing him in that situation back to back adds a lot..

I would also like to see him get a start sometime.. that would be interesting to watch.

I should have never opened my mouth about Dickey being lights out the last month and a half. Sure would be nice to be tied for first if they would have won that 16 inning game. Oh well, lot of games left.

I'll give the Dickster a pass on that game too.

Saying Dickey should get a start over Baker/Liriano (young players with huge upside who have been pitching well as of late) should get on Common Man's "Most Preposterous Statements of 2009"

Dickey has been a pleasant surprise but would you really take the sample size over his career numbers? He is almost 35 and this is the first time in his career his ERA has been under 5.2...(and its been half a season) 5.27 career. thats more than 1 run per 2 innings for those not wanting to do quick math.

I wish him the best and hope he keeps it up, but some of the suggestions here are more than a little silly.

I like what Dickey is doing in the bullpen, and think that is the best place for him. They were talking a couple of weeks ago about how hard it must be as a hitter to see one of the starting pitchers at least a couple of times, then come to bat in the 7th or 8th and see dickey's 92mph knuckleball. They were suggesting that is partly what made him so successful in june. I hope he keeps it up.

I like what Dickey is doing in the bullpen, and think that is the best place for him. They were talking a couple of weeks ago about how hard it must be as a hitter to see one of the starting pitchers at least a couple of times, then come to bat in the 7th or 8th and see dickey's 92mph knuckleball. They were suggesting that is partly what made him so successful in june. I hope he keeps it up.

that would be the hardest pitch to ever hit in baseball history

I was at that 16 inning loss. Anyone who blames R.A. for that one didn't bother to look at all the chances the offence had to score some runs and win that one. It was one of the most enjoyable games we've seen, right up till the wrong ending. frown