• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used Boat Help

NTW

I just sold my old fishing boat today and am ready to shop for an upgrade. I want a tournament worthy bass boat but only have a budget of $7-10k. So far, I've only been able to find a few boats in that range. Any recommendations on where to look and what to look for or avoid?

Thanks!

Check out the following. I 've seen some boats in that price range, heck you might even get one that they're asking 12000 for 10K!

bassboatcentral

classicbass

boattrader

Good places to start for bassboats. You know your probably not getting into a DFI motor, but should be able to get into a EFI Motor. I'd stay away from the Evinrude RAM Ficht technology that is previous to Bombardier vintage. Like late 90's in a Evinrude. The Mercury EFI's in that vintage are bullet proof.

Good Luck in Your Search. If I hear of any rigs for sale I'll let you know, on this post.

Later..

Thanks for the advice.

I have been reviewing those sites and have found a few that I am following up on.

I appreciate the advice on the motors Bassin'Wally Guy.

I was originally thinking I should get something 18ft or larger with at least a 150HP motor but am having trouble finding something of that size in great shape and within my price range. Do you have any opinion on the size I should buy?

One of the boats I found that looks pretty nice is a Skeeter SS140 w/Yamaha 115. Others I have found are Ragin Cajun and Javelin but I just don't have enough knowledge of pros and cons yet. I've been researching like crazy...Love it!

I think that I'd have to agree with you about the minimums.

Anybody own a Nitro boat? I have found a '96 Savage 884 w/ 150 Merc EFI that looks great but I have never fished or ridden in one.

I pulled the trigger on a '99 Champion 181 w/150 Merc RX6. Can't wait to go fishing in it!

I ended up finding it by doing nationwide searches for particular models on a famous free classifieds HSOforum. Thanks for the advice guys!

I keep forgetting to take pics when I am out fishing. My wife remembered to take one this morning. The boat is awesome to fish out of and handles great! Now I just need to put my electronics in.

July42009104.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Having a boat this well equipped for fishing makes a day on the lake so much sweeter!

I ended up driving the 9.5 hrs to Beaver Lake for the boat.

A guy and his wife (late 50's) bought it new and obviously took great care to keep the boat in perfect condition.

I narrowed my search to Ranger/Champion...Triton/Skeeter as I gathered more information from consumer reports. Not that I think other manufacturers make bad equipment. Anyway, I was quite sure I needed to make the drive when I found this one. They never fished competitively and had the original manuals and maintenance receipts. I was able to have a conversation with the marine shop that did the work and gain more confidence. The boat was $8600 so I don't think I stole it but I felt good that it was a fair deal.