• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hybrid vs hardside

I'd recommend hard sided. we went from a pop up to our hard side and considered a hybrid. with a hybrid, you are still in a canvas enslosure that sweats and heats up in the sun. plus you hear all the noises of a campground in the morning which stinks if you like to sleep in like me!!! I'd agree they have more room, but I'm glad I went fully enclosed!! the benefits are more for my family.

We've had a Travelstar 21SSO for a couple years, moving up from a tent camper.

My choice would have been a hard-sided with bunks in the back, a real bed in the front and a real toilet but the hybrid with a slideout gave us the floor plan and inside space we wanted with the smaller footprint (plus a nice trade-in on the tent camper didn't hurt). It's a tandem axle and pulls nicely at 5,000 lbs. with an V8 Suburban.

One of the biggest advantages is the circulation that comes with the tent ends. They make the experience a little more like real camping. You'll get the outside noise but that rarely bothers us where we camp. If you allow for ventilation or use a small electric heater in the fall and spring, the condensation will not be an issue. A towel takes care of most if the moisture and it's not that big a deal to open it up when we get home to air out.

We have roof-mounted air but have rarely needed it. Besides, you can't hear yourself think when it's running.

Think about how much time you'll spend inside and if all the rest of the features meet your needs for the places and distance you go.

I purchased a Rockwood Roo19 this spring and love it! Its a hybrid. I'm typing from the shore of a river in Montana in my new camper if that says anything.

I wanted the hybrid cause I like sleeping under canvas, rather than in a box. It gives a lot more room, its lighter compared to other RV's of the same size and its versatile.

With the tent ends out its more like a 28' camper. Its weatherproof and easy to setup, much easier than a popup. I still get a real toilet and shower and with our layout I get a couch too. I wish I woulda got a slide out one for more floor space, but our design is still plenty roomy.

How are you getting your weight numbers? What will you tow with? Will you travel in the mountains/out west?

Ryan,

What did you end up getting?

I have a dutchmen lite 28' bunkhouse. like stated above, 2 bunks in the back for the kids...bathroom, and a queen bed up front. mine weighs in at 5000# empty. my tahoe pulls it wonderfully!!

We have a hardsided 28' Forester Lite, which is towable with our V8 Dakota. Dry weight is something like 4600 lbs. Has queen up front and single up, double down bunks in back and full bathroom. The only thing I wish we had is a slider. Looked a model with the dinette and couch slilding out, but it was a little too heavy for our truck.

We initially looked at hybrids because of the weight/space savings. Decided against because I was unsure of the maintenance on the canvas. Turns out we don't trailer very often anyway, it usually sits on our lake property up north. I think they are a decent option if your truck can't comfortably tow a hardsided.

Do you have the V6 or V8? I had a Nissan Xterra and the anemic v6 was terrible. Ours weighed 3800lbs delivered (more important than dry weight). The X could tow around Mn ok, but struggled to hold 60mph even in the flat.

I would definitely keep you options to under 5000. You want to look at teh GVWR for the TRAILER. Thats the max of the trailer. You may not use the max right away or often, but you may eventually and you don't want to over load your car. I'd find something with a GVWR of no more than 5000. That wiill provide you with a little safety room, especially if you'll have family in the car and add other things like bikes etc.

I purchased a Rockwood Roo19 this spring and love it! Its a hybrid. I'm typing from the shore of a river in Montana in my new camper if that says anything.

Did you buy this on an auction site from a dealer in Dover, MN? I saw one there under the sold items. Nice rig.

Typing from the shore of a river in Montana says a lot! Man I'm I jealous smile

I have a Jayfeather hybrid. After useing it for the last few years I would not go back to a full hard side. You can open the screens up on the end and get a nice cool breeze to blow through. I always thought the hard sides have a real stuffy feeling.

I have a Jayfeather hybrid. After useing it for the last few years I would not go back to a full hard side. You can open the screens up on the end and get a nice cool breeze to blow through. I always thought the hard sides have a real stuffy feeling.

How heavy are the ends to drop and lift? I have a back issue. Is there some sort of crank system, or do you just muscle them up and down?

They are not that heavy, but for some it might be difficult to do alone. My wife and I are both 6ft tall and we can reach them easily standing on the ground, but she does need help with shutting while I can do it by myself. Its not terribly difficult. I can set up or take down the entire camper in about 15 mins counting utilities and the jacks.

I bought my camper from Niemeyers in Elko, MN. They were great to deal with and I would buy there again. I did have one warranty issue and they took care of it the next day.