• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Figure 8 question

When performing the figure 8 is it a good idea to free spool as you begin the maneuver? I was reading a book that mentions hitting the spool button as you begin the figure 8, and I was wondering if it is good to do this.

Thanks!!!

Kind've a hard one to explain in writing. A little easier to show someone in person. But in short, a figure 8 is doing an "8" with your lure at boatside. Changing directions with your lure near the boat to entice a following fish to strike. It is an art, not something you can perfect in a day or even 5 years for that matter.

Yeah it's more of a doing thing. Basically all you are trying to do is keep the bait making a similar action as long as you can at boatside until you are sure no fish is hanging around (which without a follow will probably be 2 circles). Just leave some line out and pull your rod from left to right tip down, then make a bid arc to come back to the left and so forth. Most people do 8's but really anything you do that doesn't have turns a fish can't follow will work.

Could someone explain the figure 8 concept please? I have heard of it but never seen it or tried it. I am thinking of going back to MN in the fall and would like to know more. Thanks

There's a few good videos on the net that show the figure 8.

If you type in 'Bob Bowman Figure 8' at Yahoo, the first link will get you a good video. Google won't return the result.

Lots of different variations on the figure eight. As DH said, it is simply making an 8 with you lure at boatside. If you haven't done it alot, as said, practice makes perfect. YOu should be doing it after EVERY cast! Personally, i dont' do the eight, but instead I do a very big O. It is easier to do, than the eight, but just as effective. I like to vary the depth on the zero....bringing the lure up closer to the surface, and going deeper on the straight aways. Also speed the lure up a bit in the corners. One important thing no matter if you are doing the zero or the eight, make the manuever as BIG as you possibly can. If you have a big fish following your eight/zero, it won't be able to make really tight tuns and follow the lures.

As far as the original question, I always free spool when going into the figure 8. But I wouldn't suggest it unless you're comfortable doing it. It can definitely turn into a disaster if you're not used to free spooling. I like to do it for two reasons. The first is that it gives me complete control over how tight the drag is, as my thumb is serving as the drag. The second reason is that when you get a fish to hit at boatside you're going to have a heck of a time engaging the free spool button with the amount of tension created by a boatside strike. Of course if you're going to rely completely on your drag, there's no reason to worry about any of this.

Aaron

AWH basically covered it. I like my drag very tight for hook sets, so i do free spool on the 8. Just make sure you got your thumb very tight on the spool, or as stated above you will have a very interesting experience.

I'm with RK on the 8 thing. During daylight hours in fairly clear water where you can see a follow I will only do a good L turn and maybe part of an 8 or O but then get the lure back out there. In stained or dark water or at night then a good 8 is in order. I don't free spool but a guy should - you can just control them easier and let a little line out so you're not hooked up to a thrashing fish with only 18 inches of line out and not be able to get your free spool disengaged.