• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rainy Lake Muskies?

I'll be staying in Gemmell for a couple weeks starting the 28th. I plan on hitting URL for some Pike at least, but also want to chase Muskies. I had planned on mostly hitting my favorite spots around Bemidji and Cass, but I just noticed I won't be all that far from Rainy Lake. Is there a good Muskie population there? I'll be bringing my passport so border crossings aren't an issue.

Is the catching better up there, or Bemidji area? I've got the '09 LoTW/Rainy Lakemaster chip as I had planned on hitting Morson/Sabaskong for a few days after the 4th. I just have to figure out where to fish the week before. Is it tough fishing for a Shield Lake newbie? Where on Rainy would I start? This will be my first trip North of Bemidji.

Thanks!

Probably better fishing in the Rainy River for Muskie. One decent area is where the Bigfork dumps in around Pelland. There's a landing right there, good fishing withing site of the Landing. Boated a 45 inch two years ago while fishing a bass tournament.

Good Luck

We went to Red Gut Bay last August (early). Mainly fished for walleye and big crappie, and caught lots of both... really lots smile They otld us that most of the muskie follows were skis chasing in small walleyes that were being caught.

So on the last day, and actually when we only had about 30 minutes left of the trip, my bro throws out a walleye pattern bait, not sure what model, and catches one on the first cast! 5 minutes later he catches another one. This was right smack in the middle of the walleye hole we were fishing, and catching walleye and crappies like crazy.

We ran out of time to fish more, but next time we go we will for sure find some walleyes, then start casting big baits smile

We did get some follows from slightly bigger fish earlier in the trip, but we didn't really target pike or musky. The two he got were low 30's, so not big. But they jumped like crazy and were pretty!