Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
broken_line

my "new" boat!!

21 posts in this topic

i pulled my dads old 14 foot crestliner out of the weeds today and after looking it over it needs new transom wood, bending and bench seat. i want to use a 25 hp chrystler on it, does this seem like over kill? it wieghs a ton with nothing in it.. i plan on making a front casting deck, installing a bowmount, fishfinder, rod holders, steering wheel and what not, nav lights, painting after a while of running to get all the crud off, and a few storage compartments up front.. ill get some pics up soon.

HPIM0480.jpg

HPIM0482.jpg

The 25 hp will push it around nicely. No its not overkill.

You'll need a kicker or bow mount to make it fish. Good luck on the project.

What kind of wood would be best to use for the transum? I have a old 14ft boat I need to put a new transum on so the kids can take it out with a 9.5 johnson and was wondering what kind I should use.

Let us know how the project goes.

Not sure when I will get to mine may be a fall project.

ive already got half the casting deck made and ran the motor last night started up on the 10th pull after sitting in a shed for 12 years.. im wondering on the wood type to.. ive heard to not use treated wood?? i talked to a boat mechanic yesterday and said i could use extoior glue plywood?? im planning on useing it in 2 weeks unless the wood is really hard to find and the dnr allows us to license it cuz we prolly dont have the title..

it looks good man ......must say also if it was as bent up as it looked in the first pic then you did a heck of a job getting it straightened out

Good work. I've thought about doing this for a winter project some year. Looks like fun.

Looks good so far. If you are questioning what to use for the transom, call down to Bakken's Boat Shop. They'll let you know what they recommend.

i started putting deck sealant on the transom wood and back seat, nav ligts and some wiring.. anyone have an idea on what i should expcet for speed?? atleast 20?

no your going to go way faster than 20. probably 30-35.. maybe even faster im not sure depends on the amount of weight you have in your boat. i would definitely think WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION if i was you, and put the gas tank and or battery in the up front storage along with a cinder block or 25lb weight or something along those lines.... if your alone in that boat, i would be very very careful opening the throttle up all the way

no your going to go way faster than 20. probably 30-35.. maybe even faster im not sure depends on the amount of weight you have in your boat. i would definitely think WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION if i was you, and put the gas tank and or battery in the up front storage along with a cinder block or 25lb weight or something along those lines.... if your alone in that boat, i would be very very careful opening the throttle up all the way

You won't be hitting 30-35, but you'll get pushed along really well with that motor. I would shy away from the cinderblock in the front unless you find you need that extra weight, but I would put the gas in front along with any battery you have in the boat. Have fun!

im not small myself and the battery can be moved up front which is 80lbs along with tackle and all the other stuff i dont really neeed... well off to the lake in about an hour if the wind quits!!!!

well a bug made it in the speedo so i didnt get an exact speed but im guessing 25+ because it took me 4 min to get from one side of the lake to the other, it took 8 min for my duck boat which goes 15 so about 28 seems right.. tipped my minnow bucket over and tackle box when i hammered it! im going to mess around with the trim and cavatation plate higt tmo to see if i can get more.

Looks like you've got it figured out pretty good. That forward seating position should help you out quite a bit with the speed. Looking at the one photo of the rear of the boat, it looks like the cavitation plate is a couple inches lower than the transom, but it could be just the angle that the photo was taken from?

I'm interested in knowing if there's any difference in top speed by raising the motor, so if you do that, please post the results.

Do you have a GPS unit you could use to record the speed?

yeah a gps and a speedometer on the boat... it right now it sits about an inch below ill put some wood under it and see what i can get out of itim guessing to gain 2 to 6 mph.. think a hydro foil would help this boat at all?

I doubt if you would get much extra from a hydro foil - should be enough lift - especially with the forward seating position, but I dunno for sure...

When I had a hydrofoil on my 14 ft with a 20 hp it made it very hard to steer. I wouldn't even try it