• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help please!!!

So, I've been out fishing a few times this year, each time raising fish. The only problem, I can't get them to eat. I'm somewhat new to musky fishing since I've never really fished for them in lakes with good populations of them. I've never had one follow up to the boatuntil I moved up here. They've all hit before they got there. Can some of you give me some tips on what to try when I have a hot fish next to the boat? I've had them follow my figure 8, put a suspending jerkbait on their nose but no dice. What should I try? Thanks!

Try to take it for what it is and be happy about a follow. I haven't seen a single fish all year other than the ones my friend has caught and had follow.

In all honesty though, keep doing what you're doing. Figure 8, throw back a different lure a couple of times, and eventually move off the spot. Come back there at a more opportune time, try casting from a different angle, there's a whole slew of things you can do to try and convert that fish. Some guys are really good at it, other guys (like myself) never seem to convert those follows, even if you see them that second or third time.

in the case that you've got boats all around you and you don't want to move of the spot, I suppose persistence can payoff. I sat on a spot for an hour and a half after I had a hot follow and eventually got the fish to bite after throwing everything in my box at it. Seems to me like it was a bit of a fluke, I made a cast about 10 feet from my boat because the current pushed me too close to shore, pulled it back a few time and he bit. Sometimes it's the weird things that get them to go.

if they follow make sure to speed up the bait - and when you're doing your 8, in the curves of it change the level and increase the speed, that usually triggers them. you're doing good stuff if you are gettin follows, keep it up!

Thanks guys. I've thought I was speeding up, but maybe not enough. I've seen that work on pike, but when a nice musky is behind my lure, maybe I don't speed up. It's just getting frusterating that I can get out and find lots of fish, but cant get them to open their mouths. I had one up to the boat for over a minute.

goblueM,

You from MI? If so where? I'm originally from Jackson.

Hunter, dont feel to bad, I've been out a couplle of weekends and had over 25 follows with no takers. I've got three rods set up and ready, with each one I'm chuckin out a different look, but no aggressive interest, just sniffers. Gotta enjoy seeing them for now, they will start to bite sooner or later.

Good advice here about speed and figure 8 or circles (my preference). Be sure to keep your leader close to your rod tip so it follows closely and at the same speed. Long rods are really important. They allow for longer casts, deeper 8's, bigger circles, and steering/controlling fish around the boat to name a few advantages. Most of mine are 8 foot or more now, but a 9 footer is my favorite.

I rarely give up on a fish. By that, I mean that if I've determined that the fish is not going to eat right now, I will mark him with an icon on my gps, and come back and visit him at a later time, or at prime time. That may be 1/2 hour from now if he's hot. That may be at sunset, moonrise, or first dark if he's lazy. A HUGE amount of our fish are caught this way.

Good luck and have fun!

Tims right going back is key we had one wake up and show itself the other day we went back and hooked her 15 min later instead of blasting her to death with casts when she showed, we gave another fish about an hour went back and she ate.

Seeing fish is locating fish and that what you want, also enjoy those fallows cause Ive seen times when I would pay 50 just to have one.

Thanks for all the tips guys. The particular fish I thought was going to eat was the 3rd time I rose her that day. Went by the first time and she followed, saw the boat and went back. I came back in about an hour and she came in again, following the 8 for a bit, then leaving again. I came back again 1/2 hour later and that's when she came in hot. Had her follow on 3 different casts this time. The last, following my bait for about a minute before sinking out of sight. I continued to 8 in case she was just out of sight, but she didn't show herself again. I came back in about 1/2 hour and didn't see her. I was already running late so as much as I hated it, I had to leave her. It was definately fun to see, but I wish I could have gotten her on.

Again, thanks for all the tips. I'll give them a try if I get out again Monday.

Quote:
The last, following my bait for about a minute before sinking out of sight. I continued to 8 in case she was just out of sight, but she didn't show herself again. I came back in about

one instance i had last year... late july i had a 50+ swipe at my believer at the tail end of a very large eddy, she disappeared i tossed a black tube and nothing. (i won't use an 8 anymore)

i fished the week on that eddy (she was probably my PB... what's a guy to do?) not a peek of her but i did boat several others in that eddy all week. the next week she showed herself again out on the edge of a small, steep drop i catch smallies and 'eyes out of. she just kind of hung there for a bit and did the old roll at the surface and was gone.

i seen her a bunch more times in that eddy that week all over the place. nothing i threw interested her. she never even acted like she cared much about my baits. over the next three months i saw her inside and outside that eddy, not all follows. mostly flashes and slow meanders near the boat or shore when i walked it. when i didn't see her i was hooking other smaller ones regular. then i finally hooked up on her for a few seconds on the same believer she swiped at the first time, with a classic throw of my bait she was gone. then as usual that time of year the water slowed down and the shad pods got so thick i never seen her again. i'm sure she was there but when those pods get that thick it's time to find faster waters with some structure. i'd be willing to bet i'll see her again this year in the same eddy... incidentally, my PB i chased for close to a month till i lucked out and tossed that cream and yellow eagle tail.

so yeah, i agree. always go back. smile