• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brainerd Cats anyone?

tnn58

Yep welcome also!

This was from a previous post I had with bronzback about Brainerd area cats.

Quote:
Rumor has it that some flatheads have been caught above the Coon Rapids dam. That is just a rumor though and nothing has ever been said about flats being above the St. Cloud dam (or further up stream). Flatheads are the big ones that you are seeing in this thread.

The fish you guys are catching up your way are channel cats. Consider yourself lucky to ever catch anything about 15lb's and anything over 20 is a fish of a life time up this way. I am not sure about up your way, but between the Coon Rapids dam and the St. Cloud dam you might have a chance at a 25-30lb fish if where to find “it“. I have seen the 20lb mark hit, but that was back when I targeted the water up here 3-4 times a week. Now I spend any free time down town going for the big ones, but the urge to get back out up here on a consistent basis is calling.

The one major benefit we have up this way (and maybe up your way also) is the consistency that you can catch channels. If you hit them right, and provide what they want, between 2-3 guys in a boat (possibley on shore or from an Island), a 50 plus fish night is not out of the question. The channel cats are king up this way and stack up like cord wood. Since targeting is very low up here, the chances at a 10-15lb fish is a very big possibility when ever you are soaking a line. I would say your chances are 1 in every 8-10 trips out (in a boat) to get a fish in the 15-18lb range. From shore the same odds can be said for the 10-13lb range. Just have to put the time in and know where to go. Plus having a jet boat this time of year is a major plus. Even the john boats with props have issues.

Hate to break it to ya but you have to drive 3+ hours to get to even the closest spot to have a chance at these fish. Gas prices are low (fuel costs are half of what they where last year) so you should make a trip on down

Quote:
I sure would like to hear what the bite is like up you way and always love to see come caught cat images.

All it takes is to find some bigger hooks and a couple ounces of weigh, cut up some sucker minnows, put a hunk on, cast out in a deeper area, find a Y-stick, then sit back and enjoy. You will be addicted right away.

Who knows, if you sign up to for the KOTC, you might find you self in the top 10 on the channel side.

Good luck.

I've seen plenty of people fishing for them right below the Potlach dam. Literally directly below it.

Personally I've not tried but I've talked to a few people at the landing that have said they've had pretty good luck. One group of three guys were out, anchored and dropping leeches with no-snag weights and they apparently boated 10-12 cats that night, and had a few fish actually break them off. So they ARE in there, could be some in other areas as well, but that's the only place I know of them being caught in decent numbers.

Thanks All!

The only thing I lack is credible evidence and info.

Love fishin cats but when I moved here (Brainerd) from the Fargo area 20 yrs ago there were NONE. I am now hearing reports of fish in the 10 pound (and more) range but have yet to see one. I have caught them as far North as the Royalton dam and Little Falls. (Channel Cats)

Guess I'll have to load up the tunnel hull johnny and give it a shot sometime. Anyone have thoughts on primetime (seasonally speaking) for this area?

I heard that what happened was they stocked Boom Lake by Kiwanis park with channels because they could survive the low oxygen level of the lake and they would be fun for children to catch. Apparently one of the years the river flooded over the road and into the lake and these fish escaped and began to thrive.

Seems kind of farfetched, but would explain the very recent influx of nice sized fish.

I've heard the same story. Not that it was a bad thing but almost as if it was planned that way. Most folks who have lived here awhile (myself included) know that the Miss floods that area on occasion. Anyway I am glad to have another fishing oppotunity. I have the feeling that alot of folks who grew up around Northern Minnesota have a lower than average appreciation of Cats. They are a very much fun fish to persue and are very much great on the table! (They ain't no Bullhead!) I know of a few good looking "holes" on the Miss where I believe they may hold soooo I guess it is time. Some are even reachable by foot and public. Thanks for the confirmation of information I have heard. May be awhile until I get a chance (work) but I will report back.