Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmc

Anyone use spinner much?

9 posts in this topic

A friend and I were on Bowstring today and the fish were sluggish to say the least. We caught fish on a jig/shiner, 6' lindy rig and leech, and 6' spinner w/ blue blade and a leech. The fish were in a neutral mood it seemed like, but boy did they hammer the spinner/leech combo. I don't use spinner much, but was wondering how often other's use a spinner rig?

Brian

Spinner rigs are the Mille Lacs staple this time of year. With spinners you can move a bit faster than the jigs and lindys and thus you were most likely coming in contact with more agressive fish. You were probably trolling right past the neutral to negative fish and picking off the active ones. Personally, spinners are probably my favorite presentation. You can really fish them at almost any speed by simply adjusting the blade and weight sizes.

Spinners are a great choice for walleyes, whether you tip them with a minnow, crawler, or a leech. This is the perfect time of year to use them. Work the weededges, flats, drop offs. They are an excellent search lure too.

It's the last thing I'll reach for in my bag and also the one I have the least amount of confidence in (likely why it's last)

That said they do catch fish and are a great presentation, but I'll wear my arms out casting cranks before I pull spinners

Brian are you talking spinners as in like a crawler harness or a inline spinner like a vibrax? E-mail me and I can tel ya all ya need to know about spinners.

I pull spinners at 1.3-2.0 MPH all the time. A fantastic searching tool to find where the active walleyes are. Why spend your time searching with lindy rigs looking for innactive or neutral fish when you can go for the aggressive ones with the same tools?

I have never used spinners and have a couple questions. First do you usually use a walking sinker like you would on a lindy rig or do you use bottom bouncers? Do you fish with them the same as lindy rigs just faster? When you get a bite do you give them line or do you set the hook right away?

Spinners are my go to presentation and use to search out walleyes all the time. Only time I switch to a lindy rig is if I'm still working fish and they don't hit the spinner setup. This time of year I don't switch much.

Gulp baits work great on spinners when you have panfish that peck at your bait. I've been hitting the eyes very hard the past week or so and have only caught two on live bait so far. GULP crawlers and leeches on a spinner rock! smile

I have never used spinners and have a couple questions. First do you usually use a walking sinker like you would on a lindy rig or do you use bottom bouncers? Do you fish with them the same as lindy rigs just faster? When you get a bite do you give them line or do you set the hook right away?

I fish spinners a good amount and they are one of my go setups for walleye fishing, along with Lindy rigs. Probably the most confident with them also.

I use the Lindy no-snagg sinkers for everything.

I fish spinners faster than lindy rigs most of the time. My basic rule is you can go as slow as required to keep the spinner still moving, if you want to go any slower throw on a lindy rig. I will check the spinner in the water to make sure it moves before I drop it down. With the size blades I run the slowest I can go is around 1.2-1.4 mph. With lindy rigs I like to get much slower than that.

As far as giving line or not, all depends on how they are hitting. If they are really finicky, I will give them line for a few seconds and then try to sense if they got it and set the hook. Other times they are really aggressive and just nailing it and I wont give line at that point.