• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What reel to buy? Help me...

Laska

So I saw n read the forum about clickers n the whole nine yards and Im sick of my spinning reel outfit- its time to upgrade my reel, so; What do you guys prefer and can I stay under $80 so my wife doesnt kill me? I was thinkin the Abu Garcia 6500... Anyone have any go to baitcasters?

My current bait fishing setup is an abu garcia C3 6501(left hand crank) on a cheap med. heavy rod to lob heavy sinkers. I loaded it up with 50lb braid. It's been my first experience with owning my own baitcaster, and I'm 100% a satisfied customer.

The 6500 is probably one of the best if not the best all around reel for channels and flats. Is is a workhorse reel that given just a little bit of attention in the maintenance dept will last you a very long time. I don't think you can go wrong with a 6500.

Are there less expensive reels, yes. Are there better reels, probably, but for a simple get it done reel, the 6500 is it.

Well now I got another issue, I can get the 6501c3 for $95 or the 6601c4 for $100?? Which one do I get is the 6600's better or no?

Elwood I dont think anything could match up to the green hornet wink

A larger single paddle handle. If you look at the 7000 reels they all have them. But only certain models of the 6000 reels have them unless you add your own. I added two to mine this past week.

The deciding factor for me between the 6500 C3 and 6600 C4 was the C4 has a thumb lever to open the spool where the C3 has a button on the side that I didn't like much. As for the power handle, you can always buy it down the road for around 20 bucks...but it's not necessary just a personal preference.

The deciding factor for me between the 6500 C3 and 6600 C4 was the C4 has a thumb lever to open the spool where the C3 has a button on the side that I didn't like much. As for the power handle, you can always buy it down the road for around 20 bucks...but it's not necessary just a personal preference.

Not to get too technical here but a 6500 has the push button spool release, 6600 has the thumb bar spool release. C3 designates a 5.3:1 gear ratio and C4 designates a 6.1:1 gear ratio. If the number is 6501, 6601, 7001, etc... the xx01 at the end designates a left handed reel.

My choice is still a 6500 C3.

And yes... Power Handles are nice.

I love the thumb bar. My favorite reels by far are my 6600s. I bought power handles and 5.3:1 gears for them so they are kind of a cross between a 6500 & 6600 & 7000.

This same question came up last weekend amongst us. I have a 7000 + 6500 and I like the 6500 better also. What I really think is better is the clicker on the 6500. It seems to to be softer or more sensitve.

I like the 7000's for the fact it is a simple reel to use.....But if you want a tough, very well built reel I would go with the Penn 320 GT2 it also comes with a 4.3:1 gear ratio and a very smooth drag system. I have both and would much rather have that 50 pounder on the Penn. It will run you about $95 but they do make a 310 GT2 that may be a little cheaper in price. Good luck

Funny because that is the exact reason I choose the 7000 for my personal use.

Yep. I don't like the soft clicker on the 6500. Large bait tends to pull them too often. If the bait is not kicking, it is not working, and I get sick of the 2-3 clicks at a time.

so a thumb bar is preferred but I should all around go with the 6500 models... This sum it up? Clicker preference would be 6600? as far as being the best...wow lots to soak in...