• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flash for Nikon D40

I have a scheduled family event coming up, a night Launch trip on Mil Lacs. I am thinking that I may need a flash to take some better pictures of this event. Any suggestions for me? I want one for the D40 but one that will also work on the planed upgrade to the D90.

Any flash that works with your D40 will work for your upgrade, whatever that may be. I would suggest the SB800 or SB900 first off, if they are in your budget. These are amazing flashes that will do pretty much anything you every want it to. Next to that would be the SB600 which is also a great flash, although without the power of the others. The attractive thing about the SB600 is the price. It is considerably less money than the others and will serve you very well. It all comes down to what you want to spend and if you don't want to ever worry about upgrading. If you ever want to use off camera flash when you upgrade to the D90 you really want to think about the SB800 or SB900. They are able to work with the Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System). Off camera flash is something that you really should try. It will take your flash photography to another level.

Oh, I'm sure there are other brands out there too, but I can't comment on those.

Good Luck and have fun. Any of these will be a tremendous improvement over your pop-up flash!