• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to become a guide?

I like reading these posts. Someday my wife is going to make enough money that I don't have to work so I'm hopefully going to do some part time guiding. Just for fun, because I love fishing and helping people catch fish. It gives me a high when someone in my boat catches a big fish. Granted, I love to catch them too, but it's just as fulfilling for me to have my fishing partner catch one.

Good advice in this thread

What I am about to post is easier said than done grin but my take from knowing guides and my life hagning around Mille Lacs in my youth and adulthood.

It never hurts to win some high profile tourneys to get your name out their and help on some money.

The entry fee's might be a little steep if you do not come in the money but I know of a couple guides this has helped out their guiding service very nicely. I would say the publicity/notoriety pays more than the money when you place high or win a tourney. Might gain some respect from other guides on the lake after you win a couple and act gracious when winning.

Another thing is if you are young and want to make it happen I would say start working at a resort on a lake like Mille Lacs. This way you can work your self up to a working on a launch, then maybe capt. or resort guide. You can do this while making a little money wink. Many resorts will let you stay or rent out a fish house during the summer if you work their. Even as a part time (dive in later in life guide) getting in good with a resort can help this out. This is easier said than done though. Most resorts have "Pro" guides and even a list of back guides that have been working for the resort for a long time. But I would assume if you get your own clients and refer them to a particular resort, eventually the resort staff and manager will take notice of the business you are bringing in for them. After some time of happy customers (have them send in letter/e-mails of their experience with you) they might put you on the call-in back up list for guides. Never hurts to prime the resort manager also wink A cold 6 pack or donuts would do this at most resorts grin

Time, notoriety, money and repeat/referral business will make a guides life easy or hard (IMO)...

It never hurts to register as a guide sponsor here at FM also wink That would be my first step. smile

There are many folks out there that think Guiding is easy work. Well we as musky fisherman know, just the fishing is strenuous. Add pressures of producing, newbie clients that after you spend and hour teaching them how to cast they backlash every rod in the boat and snap 3 of your brand new Dawgs off in consecutive casts. Or the guy that wants you to fish, but when you catch one wants to go in because, "He's not paying you to catch fish". Does this sound like a tangent? Probably, but there are those days, which happen every so often, that the hard work pays off - A newbies first fish, and the smiles and excitement. The look on the face of a cancer survivor the first time she gets to lift up her 25 pounder. Or getting to watch a father and a son share a moment in the bow as you are there to run the boat only - Dad is there to teach his son how to fish.

It's funny, the forum threads that are guiding based always seem to turn to the negative. My posts as well. As guides we struggle with Bills, gear failure, cancellations, weather, stubborn fish, etc. But we do get to spend our time in a boat, in a place we love to be!

If you haven't already, volunteering at a fishing derby or other non-profit event would be a good way to kind of test the waters. See if working with people with little to no experience and running the gammit from calm and patient to kids with ADD is something you would be interested in. It can be fun and if nothing else volunteering looks good on resumes!