Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
LucasMN

Ugly Stik rod question

Hello all,

Since fathers day is coming up, I thought I would take him out fishing since he rarely gets a chance to go. I bought him a new Ugly Stik, SP 1160-2M. After I got home and took a look at it, I noticed that the handle part where you put the reel is not inline with the guides. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be, or if I should return it and get a different one?

Thanks

p6160287j.jpg

Without a doubt you should return it. The real question is should you return it for another ugly stick?

That is a very good question. I don't want to spend too much money, even though it's my father, for how much he gets out if I can stay under $50 for the rod, I will be happy. Maybe I will check out a Berkley.

This might sound too simple, but according to Shakespeare's HSOforum, that model is a 2-piece rod. Wouldn't it just make more sense to just twist the second piece so it lines up?

This might sound too simple, but according to Shakespeare's HSOforum, that model is a 2-piece rod. Wouldn't it just make more sense to just twist the second piece so it lines up?

it breaks apart in the middle of the rod, not by the handle

definately return it for another ugly stik. you cant get a more sensitive, and durable rod for the bug. and since he rarely fishes, it will probably be in storage for a long time. which will put it at risk of being broken. so definately go with another ugly stik. just be sure to check it out and make sure it looks good before you buy it.

i have had my ugly stick for 8 years, and trust me, the guides will wear out before have any problems with the rod! i have replaced every single guide on mine, and its still catching alot of fish.

tight lines

Yeah, but aren't all of the guides on one half of the rod, and the handle is obviously on the other half? I can't completely tell from the picture, but it looks like it splits apart right above his index finger with all of the guides above it. I've got a few of their two-piece rods myself, and at least that's how mine work.

put a reel on it and cast it.. i have acutally seen rods that have the eyes kinda tiwst. they claim it casts better that way.. if you are able to break an ugly stick with out intentionly doing it congratulations

Yeah, but aren't all of the guides on one half of the rod, and the handle is obviously on the other half? I can't completely tell from the picture, but it looks like it splits apart right above his index finger with all of the guides above it. I've got a few of their two-piece rods myself, and at least that's how mine work.

usually 2 peice rods have at least one guide before the rod splits. thats how my ugly sticks are

Some depending on the length dont have eyes below the split I have several. An they are all ugly sticks, I dont but anything but. He will like the rod, good luck fishing.

I don't want to come off as some kind of elitist, 'cuz I'm really, really not. But, every ugly stick I've ever seen was fit for crrp fishing or home demolition projects. Haven't handled one in years though, so maybe I'm mistaken.

You should alway look for this in the store!!

I once looked through some rods in a (unnamed) store and found 4 rods without tips. All rods are a little differant so look them over for the one you like best.

Take the rod back. It looks like a poor job of quality control.

What type of fishing does dad do? If he's into jigging and rigging for walleyes, I would find a different rod than an ugly stick. Just my 2 cents.