• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ugly Stik rod question

LucasMN

Hello all,

Since fathers day is coming up, I thought I would take him out fishing since he rarely gets a chance to go. I bought him a new Ugly Stik, SP 1160-2M. After I got home and took a look at it, I noticed that the handle part where you put the reel is not inline with the guides. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be, or if I should return it and get a different one?

Thanks

p6160287j.jpg

Without a doubt you should return it. The real question is should you return it for another ugly stick?

That is a very good question. I don't want to spend too much money, even though it's my father, for how much he gets out if I can stay under $50 for the rod, I will be happy. Maybe I will check out a Berkley.

This might sound too simple, but according to Shakespeare's HSOforum, that model is a 2-piece rod. Wouldn't it just make more sense to just twist the second piece so it lines up?

it breaks apart in the middle of the rod, not by the handle

definately return it for another ugly stik. you cant get a more sensitive, and durable rod for the bug. and since he rarely fishes, it will probably be in storage for a long time. which will put it at risk of being broken. so definately go with another ugly stik. just be sure to check it out and make sure it looks good before you buy it.

i have had my ugly stick for 8 years, and trust me, the guides will wear out before have any problems with the rod! i have replaced every single guide on mine, and its still catching alot of fish.

tight lines

Yeah, but aren't all of the guides on one half of the rod, and the handle is obviously on the other half? I can't completely tell from the picture, but it looks like it splits apart right above his index finger with all of the guides above it. I've got a few of their two-piece rods myself, and at least that's how mine work.

Yeah, but aren't all of the guides on one half of the rod, and the handle is obviously on the other half? I can't completely tell from the picture, but it looks like it splits apart right above his index finger with all of the guides above it. I've got a few of their two-piece rods myself, and at least that's how mine work.

usually 2 peice rods have at least one guide before the rod splits. thats how my ugly sticks are

I don't want to come off as some kind of elitist, 'cuz I'm really, really not. But, every ugly stick I've ever seen was fit for crrp fishing or home demolition projects. Haven't handled one in years though, so maybe I'm mistaken.

You should alway look for this in the store!!

I once looked through some rods in a (unnamed) store and found 4 rods without tips. All rods are a little differant so look them over for the one you like best.

Take the rod back. It looks like a poor job of quality control.