• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fave swim jigs?

Ralph Wiggum

Hiya -

Of the ones that are widely available, Outkast makes a pretty good one. All Terrain isn't bad either, although I wish the skirts were secured a bit better. The best, IMHO, are Brovarneys, but they are a custom order deal as far as I know. NOT a fan of the Booyah version.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Outkast has my vote. I had 40 custom swim jigs (all identical) that I loved. I can't get them anymore and I'm down to about a half dozen... I hate Pike with a passion.

Recoil -

I hear ya on the pike. The lakes I fish are rotten with them, and I was donating tons of swim jigs to the pike gods for a while there. Finally came unglued one day when I lost jigs to bite offs on 3 consecutive casts...

I finally started adding a short bite leader.

I take a short (5") piece of Cortland Toothy Critter wire, which is a very soft, coated knotable wire. Tie it to the jig with a 3-turn Uni-knot, then to my main line with a back to back uni. 3 turns on the wire, 4 on the main line (which is 20# fluoro in my case). Trim the ends close and it hardly picks up any gunk at all.

The wire is actually thinner than the main line, and I'm totally convinced it doesn't make a bit of difference to the fish. It's a horizontal presentation and it's not exactly like they study it for hours before they hit the thing. I flip with braid all the time, and that's thicker than the wire, and the same color...

Since I started doing this - no more bite offs... I do the same thing with a regular jig and pig on lakes that are especially pike-infested. Again, doesn't seem to matter to the bass, and I'm not going through 15 bucks worth of jigs a trip anymore.

I highly recommend giving it a shot...

cheers,

Rob Kimm

lol, there wrotten with pike, Nothing wrong with a decent sized pike, its the hammerhandes that really get me going, they never cooperate trying to take the hooks out, they always clamp shut. I tie my own swim jigs, but there are many good local companies that make a good swim jig, Super K, Outcast, Brovarney.

Bought a couple of All terrains because they were on clearance. Still learning how/when to use them and have not caught anything yet. What colors work for most water types? One of my jigs is 1/2 ox. white head with some yellow in the skirt. Came with a white single tail grub.

I've been using Outcast's jigs they have a good head design but the rubber band that holds the skirt is kind of a pain. I have heard good things about Brovarneys. I went to their site and you don't have to custom order them they have a bunch of jigs to chose from.

I didn't find the color pattern I was looking for so I called Dan Brovarney and asked him if he could make me a sunfish pattern. I told him I wanted to keep the green pumpkin and watermelon colors on top and the yellows, orange on the bottom with a few blues mixed in the middle. He tied me up two variations one was more subtle with watermelon on top and a gradual color change towards the bottom. The other had more contrast and was brighter it had green pumpkin on top and more bright colors on the bottom. They both looked very good. He has been busy the last week but said they will get them done soon. All of their jigs are hand tied so hopefully I won’t have the problem of the skirt sliding down or around the jig.

I like the all terains, and use that brand the most. The J-mac also works well when swimming over weeds. It doesn't wabble, but paired up with a tube... cabooom!!!

As far as the Booyaa, I think it "swims" with the better action than many of the others. It is one of the BEST pike jigs on the market.

Brovarney all the way here!! I think its important to try them all or as many as possible. I have tie's to Brovarney and am convinced that Dan and Casey make the best swim jig on the market today. The customer service is top notch, color selection and the ability to customn order the jigs is a bonus. I feel there is a couple of key things to look at when looking at swim jig's 1.How's the shirt attached

2.Head design

3.Grub keeper

4.silicone or living rubber skirts

These are just a couple areas to pay attention to when looking at all the jigs that are on the market today. Good luck.

I am a Brovarney guy all the way. It is just what I want. Here is a option though. Buy a couple of each and try them out to see what works best for you. That is the best way.

I prefer hand tied shirts for two reasons. I can customize the colors, and the shirts do not slide down the hook.

The head design and weed guards are also something to look into.

Brovarney's use a custom Gamakatsu hook designed by Dan and made only for him. No heating and bending of hooks to fit the mold.

Buy a few and try them. You will not be disappointed.

Super K Fishing swimjigs all the way, 5/0 Gamakatsu hooks, hand tied, hand poured, hand painted with two coats of lacquer and matching weed guards made by one person so the quality is simply great. Gregg will hand tie any color at no extra cost and at $3.00 a jig it doesn't get much better.

Here are a couple of my favorites.

jigKizewgill.jpgjigDragonfly.jpg