• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How's this setup?

mlvaj

Just bought me a new Citica 200E and a Fenwick 7'0 MH HMX Iron Hawk last night. Hooked it up with 30lb Spiderwire Camo braid. I'll be using this for worming, jigging, and spinnerbaiting. Just want to know if this is a good setup?

That set-up might be a little difficult for worming. Some guys like the braid for worms like Senkos because it floats and keeps the line out of the weeds, while others hate it because they think it effects the way the worm sinks/works. The same goes here for weighted Texas rigged style. It works well to cut the through the weeds while fighting a fish, but the line seems to not sink as well and can get caught up through the weeds while working the worm. I personally line mono on my worm rod and braid on everything else (spinnerbait, crank, jig.)

That set-up might be a little difficult for worming. Some guys like the braid for worms like Senkos because it floats and keeps the line out of the weeds, while others hate it because they think it effects the way the worm sinks/works. The same goes here for weighted Texas rigged style. It works well to cut the through the weeds while fighting a fish, but the line seems to not sink as well and can get caught up through the weeds while working the worm. I personally line mono on my worm rod and braid on everything else (spinnerbait, crank, jig.)

i go with flouro if i want to work worms. it is very abrasion resistand, and dang near invisible. and you have much more sensitivity than mono. but dont just buy any flourocarbon, you gotta get the good stuff. the expensive stuff, is much more managable, and castable. i like yo zuri hybrid, P-line (for ice fishing) and trilene 100% flouro.

i will settle with the cheap stuff for crappie fishing. since i never set the hook hard on crappies (flouro is not very impact resistant, unless you get the better stuff)

i do like trilene sensation, great line for the price, but it abraids very easily, and is not very shock resistant. i use it on one crappie rod (my open water set up, that i use in snag free waters) since it is very sensitive.

but if you set the hook hard, go with the spendy stuff. you wont regret it

but dont just buy any flourocarbon, you gotta get the good stuff. the expensive stuff, is much more managable, and castable.

ill have to disagree with you there because i bought triple fish flourocarbon line which i got for 7 dollars a spool and that's the cheapest i have seen for flouro and it is working just fine for me on drop shot rigs and senko rigs.

Very nice setup. I prefer Stren, suffix, or PP over the spider but that's me. I like teh price and performance of the citica too. Do some research and upgrade the bearings to ceramic hybrids. Very cheap and awesome upgrade! I have them on all my reels! For the price, I'd have gone with a Cumara for sensitivity, performance, and power. I like them a bit better then the Fenwick.... plus it's a lot lighter rod with a split grip. But your setup will be awesome. I too would prefer a more giving blank for spinners but what do I know. GL and enjoy your setup. That should be plenty of power to pull them hogs out from underneath.

Well, what do you know. I'll never get spiderwire ever again!!! On my first cast, what a backlash. Had to cut it out. The old thumbpress trick didn't work on this one. On my second cast, another backlash. There goes all my line. What a waste of MONEY. Should have gone with what works for me and that was PP. It's kind of funny that it backlashed so much even when I set up the centrifugial brakes. I had all of them down since I wasn't so use to the new reel. On my pinnacle matrix, it did not once backlash to the point where I need to cut. What am I doing wrong? Guess power pro is back on the reel now.

One thing you can do and I'm doing is take 1-1/2 cast of line off your reel and save it in a spool. Then add some flouro carbon to refill the spool when you want a sinking line. Switch back when you want a floating line.

When using a floating line with a texas rig (or any rig) your line will have a belly up which will make your lure lift when you reel in or twitch the line. With a sinking line the belly in the line will be down and the lure will tend to slide along the bottom. Which is best? It all depends on your fishing style on that given day. Sandy bottom with grass in 12FOW? Go with a sinking line. Holes in the weeds? Go with a floating line.

mlvag, I wouldn't write off spider wire, its awesome line. I use it on several reels, and I love it. I've had one of my dock rods spooled up with 65lb for 4 entire seasons, and its as strong as ever. Everybody has their preference, but nearly all the lines out there will do the trick, unless your real serious about it and fishing tournaments, then you may want the top of the line stuff. I don't think the line had anything to do with your backlashes, it just takes some tinkering to get your new reel set how you want it for a specific rig. Next time your out with it, start with short casts until you get it set right, otherwise you might get another horrible backlash, and nobody likes those! Good luck with it.

all of the brakes down is wrong for what you're going. That lets the spool spin as free as a bird. Start with them ALL on. Then work from there... slowly as you get better. I usually have 1 or 2 on depending on what I'm using. GL. Let us know if you need help. It isn't hard..... just a bit different. If you need help.. email me. I live in town and I can show you how.

I just picked up a Fenwick Eagle GT MH 7'. I was going to get a Shimano Claris but with the price increase I just didn't want to pay the extra $20. That Fenwick is a stiff rod which is good, thats what I was looking for.

I'm not sure what the difference between the Iron Hawk and Eagle GT is though. Cabelas had Eagle GT and Gander had Iron Hawk. Prices were the same I believe.