• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water not coming out of "pee" hole

mattrd

Hey guys,

I have a question for everyone here. I have a 99 Mercury/Tracker 40hp on my boat. Yesterday while out fishing I noticed that water was not coming out of the "pee" hole while idilling. But when put in gear it would start coming out. It was working fine when I first started it up when first going out in the morning. I'm really new to boat motors so any help would be great!

Thanks,

Matt

You don't want to run without water coming out. If was ok it's probably an obstruction at the pee hole outlet. You can either pull the end fitting off or simply stick a wire into it to clear it out. Worst case is the water pump impeller is wearing out. The lower unit needs to be dropped to fix that, it not hard. Or it's pretty cheap fix at a dealer.

Matt, I've found alot of sand particles can restrict flow from the exit hole in the tube. To the point I have drilled mine out to a larger diameter. Check for a clog first. Depends on how many hours you have on the motor, impeller vanes in the water pump don't last forever. Well worth replacing the pump and not the the top end.

If you where on a weeded lake or maybe a sandy area you may have got something lodged in the hole.

You can take a wire from a bottom bounce and slide it up the hole to see if that cleans it out. If not there is a way to back flush it, you may need to look that up if you don't have the manual.

Sifty

'99 motor... that is due for a replacement IMHO, if it hasn't been replaced already. But often sand or spiders nesting can clog the pee hole, but 10 years is overdue anyway.

I find bottom bouncers work good for the pee hole. Now my new 150 e-tech has such a small screen on the lower unit that if I get into an area that has those tiny little round leafs off the weeds(1/8" dia.) the screens will plug and I have to lift the motor up and just swipe my finger down both sides and it's good to go. Rather have to do that then replace a brand new e-tech