• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota foot control maintenance

Fish Head

Question

I just replaced my foot control for my 2005 Minnkota power drive 80. The authorized Minnkota repair center (motor clinic) said it wasn't worth repairing and that they just wear out because it's plastic on plastic.

They recommended dipping the foot control pedal in the lake or washing it off after each use. The sand and dirt that get inside the unit is what causes the wear. Just washing it off after each use could prolong the useful life.

I just thought I would pass this on...

5 answers to this question

Good guys over there at Motor Clinic. So a dip in the lake won't short anything out in the pedal? I've always wanted to do this from the amount of sand that accumulates but have been afraid of frying a pedal.

Great guys over there. That's what they told me.... dip it in the lake to wash it out. Removing the sand and dirt will keep it from prematurely wearing down. I learn something new every day.

My powerdrive was not goin left or right on saturday, I figure it was in the pedal. But after monkeying with that I turned to the plug coming off of the motor. I pulled it apart and there was a buildup of crud on there. So I wiped it off and away I went. Not always the pedal, at least in this case.

DO NOT DIP THE PEDAL INTO WATER!!!! I spoke to Minnkota about this in the past as I have heard the same thing. They advised me not to do this as it will short out because the pedal is not waterproof. Apparently their new pedals are improved compared to their older pedals, but yes, they still go out. I just put mine away after each use and will open it up and clean the contact points and use CO2 computer air cleaners to blow excess dirt and dust from the circuit board. If dust gets on the board, the plastic on plastic contacts will eventually wear through the contact points on the boards creating a hole for water to penetrate the board and causing it to short out. Therefore, if there has been dust on the board and the contact points have started to deteriorate, dipping it in water will only hurt the pedal more than it will help.