• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where should I take my computer

What details are being thrown when the BSOD comes? Memory Fault, hardware failure...

Along side the blue screens did it start with mysterious random reboots?

Could be any number of different things, typically it will boil down to a BIOS update or just flat out replacing the MOBO and you will be back on your way. You would be suprised how many outlets online sell replacement parts for older PC's like Dell HP IBM and Gateway.

RU

If you can get to the UofMN area, on University avenue just east of campus, I highly recommend General Nanosystems. Do a search for address and phone. They have banks that they will plug it into on the spot, and most likely tell you what is wrong. I think the charge is $35, but they waive it if you need to buy any parts.

I like to to think I know a little about computers, but when I am stuck, I go there. Last trip was a bad memory chip, actually just a burnt area on the pins, probably from being bent slightly at some point. Easy and cheap fix, and now I have more RAM smile

Good luck!

I suggest running MEMTEST86, that'll check your RAM for errors. Typically blue screens are RAM related, unless you have major registry errors which CCleaner can clean up in no time.

In some cases it may just be that certain components are getting too hot. Pop the case open and make sure all fans are still functioning, and get a can of air (or use a straw and blow, but that blows dust in your face) and clean out any dust build-ups, particularly any in between the fins of a heatsink.

How old of a computer is it?

Might not be worth putting any money into fixing it. Just a thought.

It's the same New custom built Putor he has been having problems with for a long time now. There is a 9 page thread on it here somewhere.

Good News is the solution is in Burnsville where he already lives!

I suggest running MEMTEST86, that'll check your RAM for errors. Typically blue screens are RAM related...

I got memtest86 downloaded and onto a CD. However, when booting from this CD, the test runs for about 5 seconds then the computer reboots. It keeps repeating this pattern.

Is this the way memtest86 works, or is it the computer issue I'm trying to find?

Originally Posted By: Nick Kuhn
I suggest running MEMTEST86, that'll check your RAM for errors. Typically blue screens are RAM related...

I got memtest86 downloaded and onto a CD. However, when booting from this CD, the test runs for about 5 seconds then the computer reboots. It keeps repeating this pattern.

Is this the way memtest86 works, or is it the computer issue I'm trying to find?

No, that's not the way it should work. It should boot into a program that shows you all the test cycles it's running on the memory.

Since your talking booting from the CD, I presume you downloaded the ISO file to make a bootable CD.

Did you use the ISO file to make the CD, or did you merely copy/burn the ISO file to a CD?

My apologies if you know this, but to make a CD from an ISO file, you can't just burn the file straight up to the CD. You have to use the CD burner option, usually in the file menu, that says something to the effect of "Create disk from image...". Then, when the computer asks for the image file, it's asking for the ISO.

I don't believe that should happen. Do you have multiple RAM modules? Try running them one at a time.

That's exactly what I'm planning to try next. I suspect one of the modules might be bad.

And yes, I burned the image file onto a CD and the program runs, but only for about 5 seconds then it reboots.

Ok, so I have run the Memtest86 program using just one stick of my ram.

When I put either stick in A1, they both test fine. When I put either stick in B1, they both show errors.

Where do I go from here? Can I run my sticks in A2 & B2, or some other position? I have 4 slots for memory position.

Yeah, that looks right.

I don't think it would hurt anything to try the memory in the A2 + B2 slots, but not 100% sure about that, or if it might work.

Perhaps before doing that, have you checked your memory to be sure it's of the exact nature to match with your board and processor?

I know some boards are very fussy and seem only to work with "qualified" memory. Meaning, specific stuff from certain vendors. Asus has this list called QVL (qualified vendor list) for memory.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Also, I don't recall if you've loaded in the most current BIOS. I suspect by now you probably have.

I was reading a forum post on the Asus web site from another person with the same issue, but different memory.

Somebody provided a solution that I think I will try. If that doesn't work, I will call Micro Center and ask them if they can test it.

That is were I bought it and Asus says to take it there for warranty work. Board is 6 months old and I have had this issue for that long.