• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Battery problem or ?

Shwangman

Question

Ok, first I thought my locater was acting up so I figured it was that, then my cousin who has the boat at his place told me that he tried to turn the boat over and noting so he put a full charge an determine the battery was shot and that was probably causing the problems with the locater so he pulled it out because it less than two old, runs it into the local Wal-Mart and they test the battery and tells him the battery is fine, no problem!! He is really thrown for a loop because he has been around boats and motors for 15 years and don't know what to make of this problem.

He is going to put a charge on, put it back and drop the boat in on Friday to see what happens.

Any buddy ever came up with this problem or any ideas?? It ran great all last year and I have had it out a couple times and no problems and the only thing I did have done to the boat was a new steering cable installed and that caused me a small problem because the person who did the install, cut into my power cable for my graft killing the power but once we found that, we taped it back up.

Any one with ideas would be super to hear them.

Thanks.

Ken

12 answers to this question

I had the same symptoms. My problem was in the ground cable. Don't just check the terminator that connects to the battery post - mine had corrosion in the cable under the insulation. Not only did it make the motor hard to start, killing the depth finder when I turned the key, etc, it would also prevent adequate recharging from the motor.

1st of all wally world is not the right place to have anything checked. They told me the same thing and I didn't beleive them and waited for the Interstate dealer to open on Mon. They checked each cell and discovered that even though the rest were fine, one cell was totally gone. Bingo new battery and no more problems. Oh and by the way, I could get mine to fully charge also. After it sat for a while(only hrs) it would not even have enough to "click" the solinoid.

1st of all wally world is not the right place to have anything checked. They told me the same thing and I didn't beleive them and waited for the Interstate dealer to open on Mon. They checked each cell and discovered that even though the rest were fine, one cell was totally gone. Bingo new battery and no more problems. Oh and by the way, I could get mine to fully charge also. After it sat for a while(only hrs) it would not even have enough to "click" the solinoid.

Dunno what the Wally World uses where you are, but the one up the road from me uses a state of the art Midtronics battery tester.

Anyway, the problem would be very easy to diagnose with relatively simple application of a voltmeter at a few key points.

As has been mentioned in numerous threads, anyone who works on anything with wires and electricity should own a multimeter. Basic, functional specimens can be had for $20, give or take.

I can make a midtronics while one of the best on the market, show a good battery when it is actually bad and vice versus. If it is an interstate, then I would take it back to them to test as they warranty etc.

Thanks guys, I'm leaving on Friday for Otter Tail (where the boat is) and I will check all the connections and grab at meter also. The battery came with the boat otherwise I buy either Interstate or Trojen. I might just buy a new starting battery and bring along to try that. Thanks

I can make a midtronics while one of the best on the market, show a good battery when it is actually bad and vice versus. If it is an interstate, then I would take it back to them to test as they warranty etc.

I'm sure you can. Any instrument can/will give a faulty reading if not used properly.

The Interstate guy probably uses a Midtronic too...just that he's probably been trained how to properly use it.