• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help with on board charger

mikey03

I need some help a little confused on the on board charger I just bought. I purchased a mk 210 on board charger and my assumptions were always that the on board chargers took the power off the boats alternator. The one I purchased has a AC cord on the end and I'm kind of confused to why you would want this style? just so it is easier to charge when you get back home? anyone that could help me out on what I'm looking for I greatly appreciate the help! thanks!

The charger that pulls off the alternator is a DC charger, sometimes called a charge on the run system. Most on-board chargers are AC chargers that you plug in when the boat is in your garage and unplug when you take it to the lake.

You can see the Minn Kota AC and DC chargers and their differences HERE

You will get a much fuller charge with the AC version (plug in style, like you have) than with the version that charges from your boat's batteries, unless you have a high HP motor with a high amperage output or run a long ways at full throttle during a typical fishing trip.

marine_man

I have the AC style and for me it works great while in my garage I leave it pluged in. Unplug it when I go fishing and batteries are always charged up and ready to go. I run a dual pro charger that shuts off when the batteries are at full charge. It moniters the batteries and when they dip down it will automatically turn back on to keep them topped off.

the motor is usually hooked up to the cranking/starting battery and charges that as you run the big motor, and usually the on board charger is hooked up to your deep cycle/trolling motor batteries. We just put one in my dads boat and like Trollin226 said it stays plugged in all the time and keeps the batteries topped off but not over charged. We have a 2 bank that puts 5 amps to each battery.

usually the on board charger is hooked up to your deep cycle/trolling motor batteries

It is getting more common to buy a 3 bank charger as well, to charge both trolling motor batteries and your starting battery.

marine_man