• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Screw-in bullet weights - do these work???

gspman

I'm wondering if anyone has used the screw-in bullet weights. Seems like they'd work to keep the weight with the plastic and would work for flipping creature baits into heavy cover. Any experiences with these things?

Hiya -

Yeah, they work OK. But they shred plastics pretty bad sometimes.

I've really gotten to like the Northland Sling Shot sinkers. They're like a rubber core, except the line goes through the little rubber dumbell. You just twist it to lock it in place. Used it on both braid and mono up to 20 lb test, and they're slick as can be. Cool thing is you can also change sinker weights without retying.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

If you want a pegged bullet weight, check out the gambler (florida rig?) silicone impregnated bullet weights. Then make your own with some black 100% silicone and some regular black painted bullet weights. Much cheaper. They only slide on your line when significant force is applied.

As stated previously, the sling shots work well, but if you are pinching pennies, cut a bunch of toothpicks in half, stick the pointy end of a half toothpick into your regular old texas rig sinker, and break it off. It will hold it there very well, and will save you a few bucks.

I like the screw in weights - they do tear the front of the plastic up, but a lil dab of glue holds it on there. I haven't heard about the sling shot deal that these guys are talking about. May need to check that out.

Hiya -

Ebass - the sling shot weights are really slick. When they first came out the slot on the side of the weight was too wide so they'd go sailing once in a while when a fish jumped, but they have that fixed now. I love the things.

Another pretty good way to do it is get some Peg-it rubber stoppers. They work like the good old toothpick, but are rubber so they don't abrade the line. I use 'em for all sorts of stuff - Mojo rigs, C-rigs, Texas rigging...

Reid - very cool tip on making your own Florida rig. I like the Florida rig a lot. My only problem is constantly losing the little threader thingy...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm