• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to Bow Hunting

Brade4

This is my first year of bow hunting. I'm about 5'9 and 140 lbs..(whether that matters or not) I'm looking for suggestions on bows. If it is a better name brand the better. Any suggestions? Thanks

kt i don't think he was talking about bowfishing.

The best bet is go to a archery shop and try shooting the bows they have. The guys or gals will have enough knowledge to steer you in the right direction. But for now go and shoot as many bows as possible before you buy one to figure out which one you like and not what other people say to buy cause it is the best bow out on the market. It's up to you to decide that.

Keep one thing in mind...with bows/accessories you really get what you pay for. The higher end bows are priced higher for a reason however, just because it costs a lot doesn't mean its the best for you. As Strech said earlier, shoot many brands, models and styles and figure out what's best for you.

Keep in mind the bow itself is about half the cost of getting started in this addictive sport. By the time you buy a quality sight, rest, release, quiver, arrows, broadheads, target, stabilizer, case and maybe clothes and a rangefinder (if you don't have them and want them) plan on doubling the price of a new bow. I paid $800 for my Mathews Switchback XT but have around $1700 into it with all the goodies not including clothes and rangefinder.

I've been shooting differnt brand name bows since early last fall and for me it was tough to narrow it down but it more of the Diamond brand line of bows felt good to me and you can get some nice package deals on them.

just my .02 but atleast it will get you something to compare against once you start trying them out.

Tom

the only way you'll truly be interested in bow hunting is if your bow is comfortable. who cares what brand it is if you draw it back and it doesn't feel good. pay attention to draw length and the hand grip. these two things more or less make a bow fit good or bad. many people are brand driven. their sister companies offer terrific bows at a much better price. like bowtech for instance. they also offer the ross and diamond bow lines. excellent bows at a lower price. or matthews, they have mission as a sister company.

anyways, good luck shopping and hopefully all works out!

Ha...I know I was...like every said get around shoot as many bows as you can. Once you find a keeper, be prepared to put alot into it because I am a very firm believer that if your first season is alot of fun you will be hooked for life. Remember have fun.

I always tell new bowhunters to start with something cheap and used, because most of the time you will want a new high-end bow after a few years anyway. This way you get a feel for hunting and it may take a couple of years to learn everything and find out what you really want in a bow.

Once you are ready for an upgrade shot as many bows as possible, you will find what you want after you shoot "the bow".

I agree with Bear, I wouldn't go out and buy a top of the line bow for your first one unless you dont mind spending $1000+ right away. I would look for something a little less expensive, it doesnt have to be used, they make some nice bows that come already setup for under $500. That way after a year or two if you decide to upgrade you can shoot a bunch of new bows and compare them to your old bow as well as the other new bows and find the perfect one for you.