• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upset Stomach

nofishfisherman

My pup has had some reoccuring bouts of diarrhea over the past few weeks. He's been to the vet and has a antibiotic for a bacterial issue.

The vet also said to keep him on a bland diet. When he first started having the issue we bought a bland food from the vet made by Royal Canin but at $20 for a 5 pound bag I thought I would see about making my own since I'm running low on the stuff i bought.

What do you guys suggest? I've heard boiled white rice with boiled chicken is a good option. 3-1 ratio of rice to chicken.

Does that sound about right?

Any other alternatives? How much do I feed him of the homemade food? Normally he gets 2 cups of Purina Pro Plan per day. 1 cup in the morning and 1 at night.

the last time he had the issue it took about a week to clear up on the current food.

I've only had him back on the bland food for 2-3 days so far. With maybe some limited results.

I either need to go buy a new bag or make my own for his feedings tomorrow.

Limiting the changes in diet makes sense though.

last time my lab got sick like that i bought 10 whole chickens boiled them shredded the meat and made a huge pan of brown rice. Each meal he got shredded chicken and rice til he cleared up. Got to the point where the darn dog was eating better than us. It did help as it was bland but gave him the protein he needed. I only use Blue Buffalo for food as everything else bothered his stomach. Good luck,

He just started the meds yesterday.

The reason for his runs is a bacterial issue that the vet tested for. Its a bacteria that is normally present in low levels but his levels are 2-3 times the normal amount. The meds should clear that up in a few days.

I think what I'm going to do this time around is go buy a new small bag of the bland food from the vet just so that he doesn't have to endure another change in diet right now. After all its only $20 so its not too bad a hit on the wallet.

The next time he has an issue I'll make the change and go with the homemade stuff.

My 4 year old lab has a very touchy stomach. I have been dealing with this since he was about 6 months old. It has gotten very bad to the point that he couldn't sit all the way down and and you could tell his stomach was bugging him because he was very uneasy. What i have done like Lenny7 said was stop feeding him for a day and make sure your dog has lots of water. Then i take hamburger and boil it and mix it with rice. (or chicken. I just worry about the bones too much) Mix it about 1lb to 2 or 3 cups of rice. Give him that for 3 or 4 days. Then start mixing his food in with the hamburger and rice. I now have been feeding my dog Iams healthy naturals for 2 years and he seams to be doing very well.

My advice, once he's feeling better, is get him started on a good quality food. Have you ever read the ingredients on a bag of Pro Plan? There is more grains than meat and some dogs are allergic to wheat and corn does a dog absolutely no good and is highly undigestible. Also, do you have any idea what poultry by producrs are? They are the heads, beaks, intestines and undigested eggs. Ewww! You are much better off feeding your dog a natural brand that has more meat than grain. The first 2 ingredients listed on a bag should be a specific kind of meat.

Good luck.