• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sloppy Yamaha Mounts

Tadpoletodd

I noticed on Sunday that the mounting of my 90HP four-stroke motor to the boat is very sloppy all of a sudden. I first noticed it when going in reverse and throttled up a bit that the motor kicked up several inches before stopping. When I throttled down the motor dropped back down several inches. I looked at it after taking the boat out of the water and I'm able to move the motor up and down quite a bit and the whole rear end mount and hydraulic cylinder seems sloppy. I'm planning on taking it in to have it looked at but am wondering if anyone has ran into this and what to expect needs fixing.

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I looked at it again last night. It doesn't seem to be in any connection to the boat transom but appears to be in the tilt and trim system. With the motor trimmed up about 75% I can lift the lower unit up about an inch. The movement wasn't as much as I first thought but there is still something obviously wrong here. The rod in the hydraulic doesn't seem to be what's moving when I lift so I'm thinking it's the connection up at the rod end where it mounts, or is pinned, to the motor. It is a little tough to see though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks marine_man!!! I've been looking for a blown up assembly like that for a while now. I'll print that out and investigate tonight at home. I'll let you know what I discover.

Either way I'll need to bring it to an authorized dealer. It's a 2007 purchased new and I should be covered under my Y.E.S. warranty.

Thanks again for taking the time to include that!

I think you're dead on. Moved the motor around again last night and nothing seems to move except for the pinned area. I couldn't really isolate upper or lower but that definitely seems to be the problem.

Thanks marine_man.