• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 PIN or 5 PIN?

Ditto. I would go with a quality 3 pin. I can see how some guys use the 5 pins and up for target shooting and competition but for hunting, I'm a big believer in the simpler the better. I use one pin for shooting and hunting. I'm never typically practicing beyond 40 yards and I won't take a shot past 30 yard. I have it sighted in at 20 and go a little high for 30 yards and a little lower at 10, etc. That said, I'm also a big believer in experimenting with your shooting (not hunting), especially if you're new to archery. So the worst thing that could happen if you bought a six pin is that you didnt' like all those pins and took all but one or three off, etc.

I shoot a 5 pin sight. 20 thru 60 yards. I can't say that I've ever had a problem picking the right pin but I can see how it could happen.

The one pin sights are very simple. I prefer to have more pins just because it's more precise. I don't want to have to guess a little high or a little low. I know when I put the pin on the target/deer at a certain yardage that's where I'll hit.

I think it comes down to knowing your equipment and being comfortable. To each their own.

Tomfromblaine, where abouts are you in Blaine? The reason I ask is because I am new to shooting bow and was looking for a place to practice. I remembered that there was an archery range at bunker lake park. It is now located on the other side of the tracks and is set up wonderfully. Three walking courses, (1-28 target, 2 with 14 targets each), a large practice range with two targets at 5 yard intervals up to 50 yards, and 1 target every ten yards up to 90 yards. Also there is a broadhead range and even an indoor range. I try to go a few time a week to practice. (man, I need it). As for the sight, yeah, practice with five, and only use the top three during the hunt, that is my plan.

"I know when I put the pin on the target/deer at a certain yardage that's where I'll hit."

Myself as well, but with one pin, I'll admit it does take a little more practice. After several months of shooting many times a week before season, one pin is very accurate. You just get a sense of how high or low you need to go from repeated practice.

Hi Sparky, every time I went to practice it's been rainning, so I went to gander and rented a months worth of range time for 20.00, it's about 3/4 of a mile from my house and handy.

but only has 20 yds or less.

That place your talking about must be the one I googled up and I haven't been there yet, or check out the place snipers talking about, always looking for a shooting buddy let me know.

Tom

I wouldn't adjust those higher yardage pins at the start of the hunting season...after all, that's the most important time to continue practicing...is during the season. And I consider the best method at getting good at the killing distances (less than 30 yards) is to practice at much longer distances...like 50 and 60 yards....not with the intention of shooting a deer at those long yardages but just to make you rock solid at 30 yards and in which typically is going to be your shot oppurtunity anyways. Bottom line a guy has to figure out what works for him and makes him comfortable. Lot of good input on this site. I've picked up a lot of tips from here.

They had a 3-d shoot this past weekend in Andover. I was out of town so I could not make it. I shoot mostly in the morning when everyone else is on their way to work. It is very close to my house, in fact it is closer than any sports shop, only a few miles away. They charge 3 bucks for the day, is that a good deal? I am assuming it is.