• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Boat Owner - have a few questions.

Shoot2Kill

Hey guys, I just picked up my first real fishing boat last night...no more fishing from the shore for me. Finally! grin I've never owned a "real" boat with a motor, etc...have had a few duck boats with oars, but that's it.

I picked up a 16' Lund, ready to hit the water - minus a live well. I've read hours of stuff about putting in a live well online, but there are so many variations. Can anyone recommend something relatively simple? The boat is a 16' aluminum, flat floor, 3 swivel seats so I have a good amount of room on the floor. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but for the summer, I'd just like to put something in for now and possibly upgrade this winter when I have more time to mokey with it. Anyone in St Cloud want to come out and help me out with it? I'll provide all the beverages you can drink and maybe trade some taxidermy work for your skills? grin

Also - what are "must needed" tools a guy should carry while on the water?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

I have no idea on the live well bit, but rod holders are a must if you troll or go catfishn'. Another need is a trolling motor and a depth finder. Well those are needed, but they sure help.

My boat doesn't have a livewell in it so I use a cooler and pack the fish in ice!!! General things you should carry(besides items required to carry by law), your choice of hook out tools, landing net, marker buoys if you don't have a gps, an anchor or two w/plenty of rope. Another thing to consider is some sort of rod organizer assuming your boat doesn't already have one. I screwed a couple of store bought ones along both sides of the boat. Just a couple of tips I guess. Good luck and have fun!!!!

Use a cooler and one of those submersible aerator pumps with the suction cups. Then next winter measure how big of a live well you can fit and order a kit from bass pro.

Does it have a storage compartment in the front deck? If so stick your head down in there and see if it runs back to the step-up and if it's all open. Then all you need to do is measure the depth you can fit, take up the center floor panel on the main floor and run your hoses under there. Drill a hole in the transom(this is my favorite part when rigging my friend's boats, I'll bring out a 4" hole saw and watch their eyes get as big as plates as they sheepishly ask what I need that for) then a hole in the floor under the front deck. Be careful not to drill through any tanks or electrical wiring. Mount your through hull aerator pump and use silicon sealer on the outside as the big tightening nut gets close to the hull, then mount the spray nozzle on the tank, set secure and connect your hoses. Should only take 3-4 hrs actually if the everything goes right(which it never does) but at least you'll have the whole winter to get it done.

Some sort of measuring device, like one of the stickers or a hawg trough. Extra fuses, emergency kit, scale, set of oars, net, spare tire.

This reminds me, I need to get some oars and a spare tire for my boat now.

Use a cooler and one of those submersible aerator pumps with the suction cups. Then next winter measure how big of a live well you can fit and order a kit from bass pro.

Great idea for the summer. Okay, dumb question - seems obvious, but do you just connect the pump right to the battery then with some clips? How do you shut it on and off? Temporary toggle switch?

Um yeah, cutting a 4 inch hole in the bottom of you boat - something just doesn't seem right about that! grin Has to be done though. I'm the type of guy that would stand there for 2 hours with the drill in my hand psyching myself up for the point of no return. grin

No clips. Use the round ring crimp on connectors and mount on your cranking battery. Yes, get a 12v switch(not the silver toggle type but the flat roller type) Mount in your face plate then connect the aerator positive to the toggle, then connect another piece of wire and connect to the positive post on the cranking battery.

Oh and by the way I have never needed to cut a 4" hole. Another thing I forgot to mention, the aerator package will tell you what size hole saw you need for the transom. The same hole saw will work for the hose up front. Also, open the compartment to get a good view of the transom from the inside. Then set the aerator pump on the bottom and draw a line around the pipe end that will fit through the transom. Then with a 1/4" drill bit, drill a pilot hole through the hull so your hole saw will be centered properly. File any burrs that may been caused by the hole saw so it will not effect a proper seal.

A spare prop, especially if you are on a river or body of water with rocks or stumps that might take out your prop. Also don't forget the tools needed to change out the prop. Spare plugs are always a good idea too.

I carry a small tool kit with pliers, screw driver and such. Spare spark plugs, spare prop (not needed, but nice to have), some extra anchor rope, fire extinguisher, whistle, air horn, Marine Radio, spare tackle, rain gear, towel, extra lights, etc.