• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zebco 808

Brownie77

Yep my experience years ago with Spider Wire and spincaster reel was the little tab/release that catches the the line while reeling up would miss the line. If any slack occured when starting to reel up or during reeling I would have to put tention on the line with my hand to get the reel to start pulling line in again. Just is not the same as when using mono.

I just don't see the point. All it takes is one break on a reel to screw up that fish of a lifetime. I had this happen a couple of years ago. My dad likes to buy whatever's in the cheap bin, and when I was visiting him we decided to go out bass fishing. I was using a $40 combo, had a bass on that was a solid 23", and when it got up to the boat the drag failed and "snap". When I go out, I prepare to catch something huge every time, and if I don't have 100% confidence in my tackle, I don't even bother going. Take $10 out of each paycheck for 3 months and you'll be set.

In defense of the 'cheap bin' stuff, It does get you out on the river NOW instead of in three months.

Having used somewhere between bargain bin and top end gear my entire life I humbly submit to the group that I personally have never lost a fish (Much less a fish of a lifetime) due to a substandard rod or reel. I have lost PLENTY of fish to substandard line and terminal tackle, and even more to sloppy angling skills on my part - Not checking my knots as often as I should, letting my adrenaline take over and horsing the fish, bad hooksets, etc. Fortunately all of those things are subject to the learning curve - I no longer skimp on line or terminal tackle and I have become a better angler by learning from my mistakes. It's what we all need to do and there's only so much we can learn watching from the sidelines.

So after belittling the 808 earlier in this thread, I would like to amend my response to as follows:

If you have the choice of either getting out this weekend with an 808 or waiting until September after you've saved up for that shiny new Abu, Then buy the Zebco now, fish all summer and buy the Abu in October. smile

If you have the choice of either getting out this weekend with an 808 or waiting until September after you've saved up for that shiny new Abu, Then buy the Zebco now, fish all summer and buy the Abu in October. smile

Well said, I agree

I have used Zebco 33's 202's, 404's 808's 888's( I believe)and have never had a problem with any of them and I am talking from many many years ago. I have caught 20lb carp on 202's and many many channel cats on all of the above. You have to take care of your equipment and put new string on and Zebco makes the finest reels. I today use PTI's for my walleyes and they are second to none. You can drop a zebco of any type in the sand, leave it in the rain and still will operate and I know I have used them for more years than I can count. To each their own but for me zebco has proven to me to be a top notch reel and I would not hesitate to take an 808 anywhere anytime.............

How 'bout this...buy the cheap reel, save for 4 months, then buy something decent. Sound better?