Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoreGuy1984

spinnerbait/buzzbait

15 posts in this topic

I have been wanting to buy a setup for mainly spinnerbaits and buzzbaits and im wondering what all of you would recommend. My budget is around the $150.00 $200.00 range, which sucks because it is not much. I already have a 6'6" MH fast trigger rod that I am not using at the moment. Would this rod work, or should I get something else. Any information would be great!

I like rods that have a soft tip for spinnerbaits (M power) so I don't pull the hook out of the fishes mouth, but it all comes down to personal preference. You may find you like the MH over the M. I know guys who like a little bit stiffer rod for spinnerbaits so they are able to control the fish more and move them out of cover. Once again, it all comes down to personal preference. I would try to get somebody to lend you a M rod and compare the two to see what you prefer.

great advice drewski.

For me, my personal pref. is a stiffer, crankbait rod. its really the same thing, crank and wind. I use a MH Crankbait rod and it works well for me.

My spinnerbait/swim jig/lipless crank rod is a new 7'-10" MH F Shimano Clarus. The rod is labeled MH but it really is more in the medium range. I have it paired with an old Citica and I can really get a cast out there for covering water. The rod I got was on clearance at Sportsmans when they were closing and I got it for less than half price. It may be last years model but it worked great yesterday.

I use a 7' heavy power rod, but it is a moderate action. Heavy power lets me get them out of cover and moderate action lets the fish take the bait.

7' - MHF, MF, MHM, HM. It depends on the conditions and the size of the spinnerbait. A MF works well for me the majority of the time.

Thanks the advice everyone, it has really help me a lot! I never thought about using a crankbait rod, which I will now be looking into. The old rod that I used was a MH, but will definitely look into some Medium rods also. Thanks again!

Hiya -

Great thing about cranks and spinnerbaits is you don't need a super high end rod. You can get a very good one for under $100. I use a custom rod built on a St Croix Premier crankbait blank, and a $70 Shimano Clarus MH Mod-fast. The Clarus I have is 6'10", but the 7'10" polarusd81 mentioned sounds pretty good too...

Save the $ for a high end combo for some finesse technique and get something basic and durable for spinnerbaits. I really don't see a need for a $250 rod for slinging blades.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

My Crankbait rod is a cheapo $30 Gander IM6 Rod. But that rod caught the fish in my avatar! I just need to really set the hooks when they bite to get to the backbone of the rod. If I do a sweeping hookset I seem to barely get them hooked then they flop off. Which makes sense.

I don't really use a spinnerbait that much anymore. I'll have two rods with crankbaits on. Am I nuts?

Right now you can go the Gander Mtn, Get a revo reel for $129. with a $20 rebate and or a food saver rebate. A IM8 rod $59 with 20% off ($47) spooded with 20lb stren supper braid for just over $200. before the abu rebate.

I use a 6'6" mh or a 6'6" heavy often for spinnerbaits, unless I am slow rolling them, I go a little longer then...

I have always used a 7 footer on buzzy, feels like i get better reaction with it because its a bit longer!

I just bought a St. Croix MOJO Bass for $79.99 and got a free St. Croix Sweatshirt and then ran over to another place and picked up an Abu Revo and got a free food saver. All and all out the door $210 and I love the combo.

I prefer the Falcon Spinnerbait Special for my spinnerb8s and buzzers. It has the perfect flex, albeit a little short at 6'4". (I have 2 of them.)

I do not like the feel of the Mojo by St Croix. Way too heavy.

I am using a 6'3" M Fast Action St. Croix Avid with a Pflueger Summit. It is a good sniper rod for throwing spinnerbaits and buzzbaits around docks and fallen trees. The Summit reel works well for getting the buzzbaits up to the surface really quickly.