• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stainless steel prop for a 60 hp tiller?

Huey

Is it worth spending the extra $ to get a stainless steel prop for a 60 hp tiller (4 stroke yamaha on a Lund Explorer 1600)?

Right now, I only have the original aluminum prop. I want to get a 2nd prop so I have a back up. I thinking of getting a SS prop and keeping the original prop as a back up. I've heard a SS prop will provide a better hole shot and top end speed. I also heard that the higher the HP, the greater the benefit from a SS prop. I've never had a SS prop and I'm wondering if the benefit is worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Huey

This is just my opinion ...... with a 60 hp motor I don't think you'll realize much difference from switching to stainless. There should be some improvement, but probably not a lot, so the question is if it's worth it to you. I tend to think of 90 or 115 hp as the line where you can really start to notice some performance gains by going with stainless.

Huey, I have to agree with Perchjerker, the cost ISN't worth the benefit on a 60hp. I'd suggest that you give Jay Soderbloom a call, explain what you have and what you expect it to do. Jay should be able to get you set up. He REALLY knows his props and how to get the best from them. Besides, How much can a phone call for some expert advice cost? I've dealt with Jay about 6 times now and each time he seems to impress me more with his experience. What do you have to lose????? You can visit his HSOforum at www.soderbloom.com and that'll also give you his phone #. Phred52

Well, I have to go against the grain on this one. I've had stainless on a 25hp Yamaha 4stroke and currently have one on my 30 Honda. I can honestly say, there is a difference. Keep in mind, both motors are tillers. Both stock props had a tendency to cavitate easily at times, depending on wieght distribution and wave action. I went with a turbo hotshot on both motors and was and am extremely happy with the performance on both motors. This prop is made for lower hp motors. Did I gain anything on speed? Well yes, it may have been only a few mph's, but more importantly, my prop holds way better than before. Thus I was able to move the motors up a hole and then I gained holeshot. It was money well spent in both cases, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Finding the right prop and pitch is key I believe. Good luck with whatever you do. Just sharing my experiences. Junky...