• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

clicker reels???

GBPackerNut

A google search titled "reels with bait clicker" will probably yield some good results with some junkers too. Otherwise go to the sporting goods stores websites and search through their reels. The reel descriptions will usually specify if there is a bait clicker present. Most of the Abu's above 6500's will have a clicker.

if you are looking for spinning reels, i use a DAM quick finnessa with good success. captiva (or cabelas, i forgot) live liners are also good. i found a special site a while back, with $50+ bait runner reels (bait clicker reels) for 19 to 30 buckS! brand new too!

i just LOVE IT!

if you are looking for closed face reels. my dad loves his zebco 808s

but if you are looking for baitcasting reels, im no help.

i will take a spinning reel over a bait caster any day. spinning reels are alot more versatile, and most of the bait feeder reels have pressure controls so it changes how much force it takes to pull line out (great for windy days, or days when the catfish drop baits when they feel any tension at all)

they are also much easier, with bait feeders you just push down a lever after you cast out, and that disengages the drag. then when you get a fish, all you have to do is crank the reel one turn, and set the hook, FISH ON!

I have a couple of the classics as well as Hanson stated but this year I've also been going old school penn 209 black and red level wind reels loud clickers and very good drag. I also have a couple of spinning reels shimmano 650 baitrunner this is an awsome reel for cats but I tend to lean towards the bait casters

I used to use a great big cheap generic spinning reel until I took an Abu 6500C3 off a beat up hand-me-down muskie rod from gramps and strapped it to an 8 foot glowstik. I'll never go back to spinning gear for cats.

I have been a bit curious about these baitrunners though.

I have been a bit curious about these baitrunners though.

Basically same thing as a clicker on a baitcaster, its just on a spinning reel.

Benefit = clicker "drag" function is adjustable. You can adjust the tension lighter or heavier as you wish.

Drawback = can't set clicker "drag" as tight as a baitcaster clicker has. Baitrunner "clicker" is not as audible... loud.

I don't even use 6500 Garcias for Flathead fishing anymore because the clicker won't hold a big bullhead w/ 4-5oz of weight in current, thats the primary reason I've stepped upt to 7000s. Much better and louder clickers. Penn baitcasters are similar as well, maybe a bit tighter and louder. Not sure if thats a pro or con at that point, you decide.

I have both of those reels and like both for different reasons...i use ABF-55 if im in a boat since the clicker is practically silent compared to the abu's...i will use the abu for shore fishing when i am sitting further away from my pole...MW you can adjust the tension on your 6600 by loosening the small dial on the right you use to set tension on your cast...i'm thinking of looking into some tica baitcasting reels i seen in a musky magazine to put on my new 1 ton rod i got from Moore's...they look like the cats meow!

I have a Daiwa Sealine (a.k.a., 'The Sealion') levelwind that my dad used to troll for Salmon with (No, not the kind with a line counter crazy ). The thing casts like a beast - The spindle control allows for two options - either a 20 foot cast or a 30 yard cast with rat's nest mad . I'm adjusting to it but I'm pretty sure it was never really meant for casting, just trolling.

I plan on an upgrade to an Abu 6600 or 7K in the off season.

Let me get this straight. There's a clicker adjustment on Abu reel's similar to the way the Okuma Baitfeeder's have clicker tension adjustment? This would be news to me.

You can just crank down the "spool tension knob" that is on the same side of the reel as the handle. Just gotta loosen it up again before you cast.

Oh wow. I've always kept my spool tension knob on the lowest setting and just thumbed the free-spool since I use the same reels while pitching for ski's. No wonder I was having issues with a touchy clicker. crazy Cheers Ryan.

And it is always exciting but then disappointing when you forget to tighten the knob after you cast and your bait starts pulling out the clicker about 30 seconds after you cast.

You rarely have to worry about any tension adjustment on the 7000’s wink

I was able to break in my 7000i last night and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between that and my 7000C3i.

Oh wow. I've always kept my spool tension knob on the lowest setting and just thumbed the free-spool since I use the same reels while pitching for ski's. No wonder I was having issues with a touchy clicker. crazy Cheers Ryan.

No problem, man. Hey, send me an e-mail: ryan(dot)bielat(at)gmail(dot)com wink

You rarely have to worry about any tension adjustment on the 7000’s wink

I was able to break in my 7000i last night and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between that and my 7000C3i.

What is the difference between them?

BTW...I have a 7000 that has never been used. I figure, if it wasn't for the bait pulling my clicker, most nights I wouldn't have any action at all, so that is the main reason I keep using the 6500s laugh

the bait runner reels are not as loud as bait clickers, but if you are fishing on a boat, i dont think that matters. and if you are fishing on shore, and want to sit in the shade away from your rod. the HSOforum i mentioned earlier, also sells bank sticks, rod pods, and bit alarms. for cheap! i have a few bite alarms from there, for only 15 bucks a piece, and i couldnt be happier. controlable volume and tone, and dang near indestructible