• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anthony Swarzak sent down

SledNeck

I honestly thought that Anthony Swarzak would stay up with the club. He has performed well...better than some OTHER Twins starters NOT named Baker, Blackbrun, and Slowey...

uggg

Guess I've been watching a different Twins team with a pitcher named Slowey. The Slowey I've seen pitch has been doing pretty dam good. Crain or Liriano should have gone and Swarzak stay.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
I honestly thought that Anthony Swarzak would stay up with the club. He has performed well...better than some OTHER Twins starters NOT named Baker, Blackbrun, and Slowey...

uggg

Guess I've been watching a different Twins team with a pitcher named Slowey. The Slowey I've seen pitch has been doing pretty dam good. Crain or Liriano should have gone and Swarzak stay.

Sleds saying Blackburn, Baker and Slowey are doing good.

Swarzak had no control in the last two outings he had. He looked a little rattled, maybe gardy didnt want to leave him out to completely wreck his confidence before sending him down. . . We need help in the pitching department.

a heathly neshek would be awesome.

After a 7 inning shut out? That is a head scratcher.

I agree. Why in the world would you send a player down after one of the best pitching performances of the year? I don't question many of Gardy's choices very often, but this is definitely one of them. Swarzak really looked impressive in that last game.

Again, you don't make long term decisions particularly with young pitchers on such SHORT term samplings its not how its done and the Twins origination is the best in the business in the area of developing young talent CORRECTLY! it's a marathon not a one game playoff.

So far I like him but its not like there is a scouting report on him and he hasn't faced the same batters enough to have enough data on how good he'll be!

I wouldn't blame Gardy either. I'll bet he'd rather have had him stay up, but the front office has the future of this KID and the team to consider versus living for the moment like we do sometimes!

I don't ecpect him in the Bullpen anytime soon either it appears he could be a good starter some day!

Don't get me wrong I do understand the frustration but there are many reasons he was sent down. Reasons ranging from his contract to his confidence which all lead to his LONG term success..

He'll be back..... grin

Go Twins!

There you go again PB...trying to make some sense for some of the naysayers.

It took Baker, Slowley, Perkins all several trips to the big time before they came up to stay. I think I even remember a guy named Santana that got sent down.

It happens to them all, but it sure seems like once we have some good talent, they trade them off for the next (up-and-coming) BIG thing.

I can't believe Joe nathan has lasted this long.

Swarzak being sent down shouldn't be much of a surprise. And I don't think Gardy had a lot of options right now.

With Cuddy, Crede and Span banged up they needed another bench player. Swarzak went down to bring up Morales so they had another option off the bench.

Swarzak was expendable becuase Perkins was coming back as well when Crain was sent down. With Perkins healthy I think you need to go with him over Swarzak as he's had a longer period of success. Swarzak had 1 good game and other not so good games so its not like he was just blowing teams away.

I suspect you'll see him back before the end of the year but right now I wouldn't worry to much about it. Perkins came back and pitched very well so in the end it looked like a good decision.

The point is still the same. He was doing well but he wasn't blowing the doors off of hitters. Trading him for Perkins in the rotation is a pretty fair trade.

I just don't think you can take Perkins job away from him and give it to a guy who is unproven and done no better then Perkins has.

Here's my guess on the front office's thought process:

Perkins went on the DL, allowing him to rehab for 30 days in the minors without using an option. He may not have options remaining, so at some point, he must re-join the 25-man active roster and another starting pitcher has to go. If you send Liriano down, you've used up his last option year and you hate to do that at this stage with him.

Players are only charged one option per season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Swarzak/Morales/Tolbert/Pridie up and down from the minors all year to fill gaps based on injuries.

I know it seems easy to think that you can just send players up/down whenever you want, but it's not quite that simple. Player salaries, years of service, and option statuses all come into play.

I just looked and Liriano has 6 quality starts out of his 13 starts. A quality start means 6 innings giving up 3 runs or less.

Guess that means tonight's game isn't a quality start for Frank!! Definitely having some control issues. Mauer asks for one low and away and Frank tosses it over the plate.

I wanna see liriano go to the pen

I wanna see him sent down and Swarzak come back up. It really opened Lirianos eyes last year when he got sent down. He was practically untouchable when he was recalled.