• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blinker Fuse Question

I thought it was due to a fading blinker fuse but I took the old out and put a new in....and still it sounds like the blinker needs an overdose of ritalin. It still signals the direction when I want to turn..but when not in use...that thing goes a mile a minute!

Any ideas?

The speed of the flasher is typically related to the load. Heavy load usually means faster, lighter load usually means slower.

Prime cause of heavy load is the additional load of a trailer, but sometimes a bad or wrong bulb could cause it. Are you connected to a trailer when this happens, or have you recently replaced any bulbs on the vehicle?

Prime cause of light load is burnt out blinker bulbs. Have you checked them all?

If it is a GM, the blinker circuit probably goes through your hazard light switch. It contains a module which controls the blinking. I have had to replace the hazard switch in my wife's 2000 Malibu and Daughter-In-Law's 2000 Impala because the turn signals didn't work correctly.

Either the hazard module or the turn signal multi function switch depending on what GM product you have. More often than not on the trucks/suv's its the multi-function switch. what happens is the white wire from the flasher is getting grounded in the turn signal switch. Since the switch is in the neutral position you only hear the erratic sound. Sometimes you can turn the steering wheel/wiggle the turn signal lever and get it to change frequency or stop all together.

Yeah....it's a Grand Am 2dr. My wife's car.

So it has nothing to do with fuses then? I'm guessing the wiring I need to get to is located in the steering column?

After I put this post up....I realized I had just opened myself up to the good ol' blinker fluid....or possibly muffler belt flex capacitor scenario. LOL

the multi-function switch is the turn signal switch. Since it also has the cruise and wiper controls as well as the high beam switch built into it, it is referred to as the muti-function switch.

I have heard of people removing them and cleaning them with contact cleaner to solve this issue as well. They can be removed without removing the steering wheel. You need to remove the trim covers and you'll also need a small female torx socket to remove the screws that hold it into place. Make sure you pay attention to the horn bottun (small little post that sticks out and makes contact with the horn ring on the back side of the steering column). If you don't pay attention to it it can easily be broken off.