• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HDS -7 estimated positioning error

jason007

Question

When I look at the satellites it is locked into I noticed I can never get any better than in the upper 20's to mid 30's for the EPE reading. If I am understanding correctly if I mark a waypoint and come back to it later I could be off by as much as my positioning error was when I marked it. To get this more accurate would the LGC-4000 puck be worth it? Wondering what the puck would get the EPE down to.

4 answers to this question

Thats an excellent question. When I bought mine, a gentlemen recommended that I take it out and try the internal first. After trying this it seemed that the cursor was too far behind than I really liked it to be. I'm thinking about spending the extra $370.00 + and putting the 4000 puck on it. With my LMS 480 with a puck the reading was up to snuff.

Where are you getting a price of $370+? We sell the LGC-4000 puck for $250. Lowrance Accessories At Pro Fishing Supply

You will need the network kit to use the GPS puck, but even with the kit you will be just a bit over $300.

I've toyed around with the idea of putting the LGC-4000 on my boat. From what I've heard and seen it does reduce the position error --- the 4000 puck updates something like 5 times faster than the other pucks or internal antennas --- after that its up to you to decide if 20 feet is worth it.

Position error does not tell the whole story. If you're going to worry about position error then you also need to watch the HDOP, it's on a scale of 1 to 10 and tells you if the current positioning and arrangement of the satellites is going to give you a more accurate or less accurate position. Lower number is better, high number is worse. If you have a 20-30 foot position error with a high HDOP then I wouldn't sweat it.