Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuntzAngling

Undenting a jon boat...

6 posts in this topic

I beat up my new Alumacraft 1236 jon boat this weekend on some river rocks. Small dents along the lenghtwise seams mostly. Is it recommended to pound em back or is that worse than just leaving them?

if you pund them back wrong it could crack then you have a mess!! how big are they??

Small dents = Leave 'em.

Large dents = have 'em looked at.

Just look at them as "battle scars" wink If your boat doesn't have them, you haven't been fishing.

Sounds like the normal breaking in process for any aluminum boat.

Assuming they aren't too big I'd just leave them and make a mental note of which trip they came from so you can tell the war stories later down the road.

Thanks, guys. None of them are too big. I do notice some places bulge out now when I stand on them, just noisy that's all. So in 2049, I should tell my grandkids how those dents were made 40 years ago or if storytelling is obsolete I will send them blogtimecapsuling to fishingminnesota.com!

-Minner

You mentioned the dents are on a seam, then if the seam either welded or riveted is not leaking now...don't go out of your way to encourage it to do so.

I am with the "Let it be some character group"...it's par for the course for the new rig, and don't fix what is not truly broken at this point.