• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear...

Phooj

Did you get drawn for a permit? Bow or rifle are good options. If you have never killed one before, maybe go with a rifle, the biggest caliber you can shoot well with is the best rule of thimb I have ever heard. I use a 300WSM, but I know a guy who uses a 375 H&H, but he can shoot well with it. If you are only comfortable with a 270 use it. It is about shot placement not how much it kicks. You will need lots of bait and where are you located, and where are you goign ot hunt?

no the place i go is you need to purchase, i was thinking bow and maybe with a 9mm. i am located in saint paul, im going up to 65 up there im going with a grandpa of mine. is there anything i should look out for, how does the rock ( diamond ) sounds ? or i should bring marquis one? i feel comfortable with either one

Are you talking 9mm rifle or handgun? Handgun is a no. Any rifle 243 or bigger OK. Dog food & used cooking grease is a great bait, and cheap. I get my grease from local restaurants and buy the cheapist dog food. Mix 1/2 grease & 1/2 dog food in 5 gallon bucket, Bait every other day until hunting, then 1/2 buckets a day when hunting. Great lures are anise,,bacon,liquid smoke in spray bottles to spray around bait pile. Bear Scents,LLC has great scents.

im talking about 9mm in handgun , the handgun is only for protection i talk with DNR and they say the only way you can bring a handgun into the woods is when you do bow hunting for bear any other than that. grease as in used oil from restaurants? what do you think of fish as bait? i will sure try dog food and grease this year Thanks

I've always wondered if I kept a bunch of rough fish and threw them out frozen if they would stay fresh long enough for the bears to start eating them. I could catch enough carp and sheepshead to fill a chest freezer in 1 weekend, I just don't know if the bears would eat them. Any body ever try fish for bears?

The fish would maybe work if you didnt let them get rotten. Ive always been told that anything rancid will scare them away so I guess Ive never tried it. One thing that worked great is everytime we made bacon we would pour the grease into a jug and put it in the freezer and keep adding to it. After a while you get a good amount of grease to spread around you bait site.

this will have to be for next year but is there a good amount of public land you can bear hunt on anyplace?

There is alot of public land up in the Bemidji area. Thats were we went last year and did pretty well. Alot of it gets hunted pretty hard though but if you do your homework you can find some good low pressure spots.

if the fish is smoked it would be great, otherwise it just turninto a putrid pile of stink and scares the bear waway. Bread, grease, donuts, dog food, corn, and oats would get the job done.

I have used fish to get the bear to find the bait fast and it works very well.

First I place fish remains from cleaning them into a bucket with a little water and then I place a cover on it. Then I let it sit in that pail for the summer in the heat. Be careful when you open the pail as it smells very fishy and bad but it will get the bear to find ones bait. Now I make my bait pile and cover it with logs in two different directions and pour some of the fish remains along side the bait pile. They always get hit the first evening I put the bait out.

I also purchase a pail of donut glazing from the bakery in town that they use for frosting. I mix some up with water and pour it over the bait and logs. The bears almost totally tear the logs apart to get all the frosting.

Originally Posted By: Brownie77
if the fish is smoked it would be great, otherwise it just turninto a putrid pile of stink and scares the bear waway. Bread, grease, donuts, dog food, corn, and oats would get the job done.

I have used fish to get the bear to find the bait fast and it works very well.

First I place fish remains from cleaning them into a bucket with a little water and then I place a cover on it. Then I let it sit in that pail for the summer in the heat. Be careful when you open the pail as it smells very fishy and bad but it will get the bear to find ones bait. Now I make my bait pile and cover it with logs in two different directions and pour some of the fish remains along side the bait pile. They always get hit the first evening I put the bait out.

Tom you seem to have a way with words better then I, but I guess that comes with time lol J/K

Tom pretty much said what I was meaning to say