• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mom Nature rained on my parade - - - deck stain...

BoxMN

So on Sat I finallay stained the deck. New cedar from last October. I thought we were going to make it, but nope... right at the last piece, it rained buckets for a short time. The ballasters and rails all had at least 3-12 hours after application, but the deck surface had about an hour only before the rain came.

Using sikkens rds oil based stain (natural light). I think I just need to do another coat over the surface. Water beaded up, but it looks kind of "worn" as opposed to the area that was under a porch.

Any advice, other than don't stain in the rain wink ?

Thanks.

yikes, i dont think they reccomend 2 coats in a short period of time for that product, because the 2nd coat does not soak in properly and will flake off over time. I would call the sikkens # listd on the can and ask them. im not sure if they would want to you recoat even after the rain. If nothing else leave it until fall then reapply. I used to sell sikkens and did my picnic table with 2 coats a few days apart and a year later it was peeling, then i read that 2 coats is not reccommended for that exact reason.

...Any advice, other than don't stain in the rain wink ...

Avoid Sikkens like the plague!!!!!!!!

But since you started, then got wet, you may need to sand, very lightly eek , the water spots to get them to "blend in" with the rest of it. Otherwise you may be able to dry brush the areas that look bad to get them a bit better without doing a hole nother coat.

Sikkens is a VERY tempermental product and I dont recomend it for anything other than sidding.

Good luck.

Hmmm... left message with sikkens. I kind of like the leave it as is, and do another coat next year or this fall. Will see what they say. It isn't horrible or anything, it just looks more worn than the area under the porch ceiling.

I knew this "cedar" thing was going to bite me. And everybody you talk to has different opinion on what is the best. I just want the easiest wink so I can fish more, ha!

Thanks!

FWIW, Sikkens replied to me and told me to brush on a light coat, and then wipe off with rag within one minute. So, more "Work" ha! I better get some knee pads for this one.

i've had good luck with sikkens on decks. sold a ton of it and havent had problems? what have you seen neighbor_guy.

they do have different product formulations for different applications, by chance was it the wrong product application?

More info - I asked Sikkens about the proper way to do the next "full" re-staining" and here is the reply:

"Proper way to do a deck each time is to remove and reapply. That being said most people do not do that. You do want to let it weather as long as you can. It should starting looking 3 times darker in color when wet. You then need to clean using the TSP, bleach water solution and apply another coat.

Any non worn areas only do a light coat."

This is the Cetol RDS, a one step coating. I know there is a two part as well in a different formulation.

Yeah the Cetol 1 & 23 is a log & siding ONLY stain, it wont do well on a horizontal surface. You said you are using the Cetol RDS. im not familiar with that one, the one i've been using is the Cetol SRD, im wondering if you have the letters mixed up, i didnt find any info under RDS.

Another product i've had good luck with is a duxback product called Superdeck. I have the Canyon Brown color on my stuff at home.

As with any paint or stain product, proper preperation will give you the best results.