• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie gear for Flatheads?

DTro

That’s right, crappie gear.

I had the chance to spend the day on the water with Steve D on Saturday and we discussed many tactics, from drifting to 3 way rigging to floats. One thing I thought might always be something fun to try is attaching a rattling float just above the live bait (between the swivel and the bait) so that it would keep resistance against the bait and perhaps make it struggle even a bit more.

While using a float like this is nothing new (Stange and Hoffman used this tactic in the Day on the River video) using a Crappie rattling might be a new twist.

Well it just so happened that Steve had a few of these in his box and offered me up one to try. I believe the brand was a Mr Crappie rattling float.

i319261sq03.jpg

I was impressed by the amount of noise that these little bobbers put out and I have no doubt that it will get the attention of a fish and I guess what remains to be seen is if it makes a difference or not.

So far so good, this one hit no more than 30 seconds after tossing it in front of a large snag, and might I add the same snag that Rushing and I sat on the majority of the night for BPCL just a couple of days ago with only a tiny one to show for it.

39.jpg

I think I’m going to pick up several more of these floats and experiment a bit more with this tactic.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I am a firm believer of thinking outside box can help pick up fish when things are slow and SteveD has some great tricks to start with. Great idea Dtro and it is awesome when a new twist works right out of the gate.

Very nice flat also.

Very cool idea. I am going to have to try that one.

I was thinking about trying a blade on the main, like from a spinnerbait, but I haven't been able to try that one. My main concern was fouling the line, as I was thinking I'd put it on either side of the sinker. That wouldn't work well from shore, only from a boat where I could put the line directly behind the boat in the current. Putting the blade on the leader I don't think would do anything, since it wouldn't have any room to spin.

The other idea I want to try that I have seen in the insider was a 3-way where the drop line connecting to the weight has a float on it to keep the bullhead up off the bottom. Again I am not sure that would do anything but foul the line casting from shore.

What in nice about this particular float is that there is an interference fit between the snap hook of the bobber and the diameter of my 80lb line. So basically it snaps on and stays where ever you put it. Last night I put the bobber about halfway between my bait and swivel (approx 5”).

At 5" above my bait I hope it's underwater wink

Used as intended for crappie. It's used like a standard float, except that it rattles. The teardrop shape allows you to really jiggle that jig, while reducing resistance and surface area of a round bobber.

I was pretty surprised at how loud that thing was. Looks like a pretty sweet idea. I don't know if it's better than a standard set-up but it certainly didn't hurt.

It was a little wierd in the boat last night. Darren has bright yellow and green rattle bobbers on his line........and then on top of that he puts on a glove to handle a fish.

I did forget the net to his defense....so it was a little tough getting him over the side of the RP......but a glove????

Never thought I'd see that.??!??

Gee thanks. smirk

That’s the last time I tried to help out with your little 10lber. My finger is still all tore up. Next time I just say, “you land it”. grin

I am none too proud to reach for a glove when a net is not available, I’m not a gloveaphobe

Most boat captains at least know enough to have all the needed supplies in his boat, what kind of guide service you running anyways?

So when we going again………

I did forget the net to his defense....so it was a little tough getting him over the side of the RP......but a glove????

Never thought I'd see that.??!??

LOL! Lot a guys were wearing gloves last year if I recall correctly.

Nothing says catfisherman more than putting a glove on to handle a fish.

Glitter boats and visors are next I guess.

Nothing says catfisherman more than putting a glove on to handle a fish.

Glitter boats and visors are next I guess.

Says the guy that's been fishing out of glittery/sparkly boats all year. whistle

How many gloveless kittys you handled again this year? smile

At least we don't need no stinkin sunscreen grin

I use those rattle bobbers when drifting for channel cats to float the hook and the bait up off the bottom so that I don't get snagged. I started using them this year when I anchor for channels in some of my snag infested spots. They really help present your bait to roaming channels and I seldom get snagged anymore. That little bit of sound seems to help them find the bait too.

After seeing Darren's success with a flathead I'm going to add that to my flathead presentation too. You can find them at Fleet Farm - not very expensive and easy to put on and off your leader.

i have used a running rig in snags for cats, and putting a bobber on the leader so it floats the bait above the snags. it has worked great for me. and without that i would have never landed this beast on the red. we were getting snagged in rogs, logs and all that.

DSCF0008-1.jpg

this technique also works well if you have trouble with clams or crawfish stealing your bait. i use a 3 foot leader (always flourocarbon) and place the bobber a 1- 1 1/2 feet away from the hook, so it sits a 6" to a foot off the bottom. well out of the clams reach, but still easy picking for cats

never tried doing it with rattle floats, but it definately sounds like a great idea!

using the rattling bobber is much like the guys down south spooning for cats. they take a big laddlespoon and sploosh it in the water to sound like baitfish I guess. this show was on some southern sports show and I only caught bits of it so wasnt able to really see excactly what was going to happen with it.

rattling bobbers, spoons, gloves and glittery boats just dont wanna see those peach colored shirts grin