• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diplomatic Mission

Nick Kuhn

So here's the synopsis: My buddy is getting married June 27th. The bride-to-be hails from Brazil. Her father will be making the long trip up and will be staying here for 2 weeks. During that time he wishes to spend 1 day fishing a lake here (evidently it's more than 250 miles as the crow flies to the nearest lake where he lives).

So I was chosen as the guide, mostly because I work for free. For the lake I chose Johanna, due to proximity to her house and the fact that it offers variety. We'll be there on a weekday so hopefully rec. traffic is down.

Anywho, where should I start with this guy? I have no idea what his angling skill is, and if he has any it is likely for river South American catfish. I'm guessing he has no species preference, so I'm leaning towards starting with bass techniques, if nothing else to teach him something new while still giving him the best shot at a fish. Suggestions? By nature I'm not a walleye guy, but I can catch teach most techniques, preferring artificials.

Spend some time with him and see first of all how he fishes - what does he use and how does he use it. That will give you a lead on what he's comfortable with. If he's used to tossing out a line and waiting for something to bite he may tire of the repetitive casting some do here. What kind of equipment does he use? If he is a cane pole guy then a modern spinning rig may drive him nuts. How many thumbs does he have? I've tried to teach folks how to cast and it is clear they can barely tie their shoes so it is frustrating for both of us. Is he a catch and release sort of guy or does he want to eat everything he sees?

A friend's father in law lived on the ocean in Latvia and fished every day. The guy just went nuts when he got some decent mono line and some different lures. Maybe your guy would also appreciate a chance to score some equipment once he sees what we have to offer.

Second thing is to pay attention to him as you spend the day. If he gets bored after a couple hours check and see if he wants to bag it. What sort of refreshements would he enjoy on the trip? How old and what medical needs? Can he take the heat and the sun? Try and avoid going out mid-day cause you'll likely just bake and not catch anything. He may get a real kick out of watching how your electronics work, and he'll love the sunset if it all works out.

Good luck, it could provide you both with a really memorable experience.

If it was me, I would try to keep it simple. Some people might not have very good casting skills and find it frustrating. Try to locate some crappies and have a fish fry later in the day with your buddy. (I assume he is comming with for some quality time with the future father-in-law?) I would think it would be more fun for him to fish a different way, and to catch fish that he might not have the opportunity to catch again. Trolling spinners might be an idea also. He would have a better hook-up chance and you'll always get the bonus snot-rockets (pike). Are you talking about Johanna south east of Alexandria? If so, it becomes covered in the supper annoying slime weed by now.

Sounds like you might have the perfect in for some Peacock Bass fishing down south!

No peacock bass around his parts, he lives in the far south of Brazil.

I'm talking the Johanna in Roseville. There's a lot of wedding related stuff so we can't venture from the metro area (or else I'd go to lakes I'm more familiar with). I haven't been able to speak with him directly yet, and the bride hasn't remembered to ask him. It sounds to me though that he wants to try something different than he normally tries.

No worries on the heat, he lives in Brazil. The bride is too cold if it isn't at least 85 degrees outside. I have spincast, spinning, and baitcast gear so it shouldn't be a problem. Didn't really think about it but I probably should have brought the fly fishing stuff back as well.

If it was me, I would try to keep it simple. Some people might not have very good casting skills and find it frustrating. Try to locate some crappies and have a fish fry later in the day with your buddy. (I assume he is comming with for some quality time with the future father-in-law?) I would think it would be more fun for him to fish a different way, and to catch fish that he might not have the opportunity to catch again. Trolling spinners might be an idea also. He would have a better hook-up chance and you'll always get the bonus snot-rockets (pike). Are you talking about Johanna south east of Alexandria? If so, it becomes covered in the supper annoying slime weed by now.
I for sure would agree with the basket of crappies thing too. My best days have always been hooking at least one Bass, one Northern and then catching a few panfish to take home and fry that night.