• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Creek Sturgeon

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake
very nice! im still looking for my first

Tons of them in the Minnesota River.

I never catch Sturgeon before but what part of Minnesota River ? I live very close to 35W and HW 13 (Burnville). Thanks.

Just go down to the river during the day and use a 3/0 circle hook with a crawler threaded onto the hook so that the hook is not exposed except the shank. Find a sandbar and fish off of it. Remember to use enough weight to keep it on the bottom and in the same spot. On an inside bend where you'll find sandbars there shouldn't be much of a current to worry about so a 3 oz sinker should do, maybe even 2 oz.

Then set up a rod holder and wait. You'll catch Shovelnose as well as some large Carp and even Catfish sometimes. I caught a 25 lb. Flathead with a big old crawler once, but it was at night in a deeper hole (15 foot).

I caught a 25 lb. Flathead with a big old crawler once, but it was at night in a deeper hole (15 foot).

a few years ago my dad caught a 34 pound flat in only 5 FOW. we were using the same method MW was talking about, just big crawlers on the bottom, we were hoping for drum and got a very pleasant surprise. and it was the middle of the day