• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling a boat......

Hey fellas,

I don't personally own a boat...but have a question about the distance you pull a boat on a fishing trip. I'm talking about going from St.Louis to Flin Flon Manitoba. Is there a distance in which you need to be careful about the distance you pull your boat...before you run into a trip ending/changing problem with your trailer? Is that a legititmate concern? Please forgive the ignorance on this...I really have no idea.

Maintenance is the key. Make sure the wheel bearings are properly greased and the tires are at the correct air pressure and good tread. Make sure the boat is tied down correctly and tight. That distance is fine. Stop periodicly to check tie down and to see if bearings are not over heating and to check tires.

Bring spare tire and bearings just in case.

Distance realy is not a factor if one keeps an eye on things but ya never know that gremlin likes to stick those hands in there just to mess with us.

i agree with croixflats, maintenance is key. everytime you stop for gas, food, or a pit stop walk around and feel the tires and bearings for heat. also check your straps, safety chains, light connections, and hitch pin. better safe than sorry and it is usally easier to fix when caught early. plus then your not tring to fix stuff on the side of the road. good luck and have fun.

Also make sure you start out with a decent trailer, not some old worn out piece with lots of metal fatigue. Check over all the nuts and bolts and make sure they're all there and properly tightened. Check for any cracks in the springs and frame members. I would be sure to carry at least one spare tire and a spare set of axle bearings. Easiest to carry a spare hub with the bearings in place and properly lubed. Good luck!

Two Short story. Getting ready to go to ATVing. Mn to Colorado. Did a pre-trip inspection of my trailer before loading ATV and gear. Notice wheel on front axle right side was wearing wrong. Not real bad but enough to catch my attention. Further investigation found out the bolts for axle to trailer mounts came loose. Thanks to the experience of trouble's past. Always pre-trip and check when going on trips. Reset axle to proper spot and crank tight. After trip replace all bolts on trailer and reline both axles.

Second trip same set up different mouth. Got most of the way to Colorado Second day of driving. Reached mountain roads and a lot of ups and downs. All ways check trailer and hook up at stops. At one stop a large road side rest in a mountain pass made a necessary stop. Both me and my friend went in side. Just before we decide to go made a walk around vehicle and trailer noticed pin hitch 3/4 out of receiver. I believe gremlins had a little more fun on my truck then some one's else. You just never know..

P.S Now have locking pin hitch on receiver and trailer.

MK

Do yourself a favor, and make sure the spare is good, air pressure is correct, and bring one of those cheap floor jacks instead of [whatever else] jack you have. Also bring some pieces of scrap 2x wood to put under jack so it works on uneven surfaces. A good speed lug wrench is good too.

Go loaded for bear in regards to changing a spare and you won't be sorry, and hopefully will not need it. Good luck!

Also, don't use the boat as a place to pile srveral hundred pounds of extra gear. Another thing, find out what the trailer tires are rated for speed wise. I see way too many people towing at 80 mph with those little ten inch wheels.

towing a bobcat (going to plow) with my bosses truck in my younger days the pin hitch came out when i went around a corner. my heart stopped and i just about filled my shorts. luckly the chains held on and the tounge didnt dig into the pavement. so i had to slow down very slowly so it didnt crush the back of the truck. so now i also have a locking hitch pin and i check all of the connections every time i stop. it was a real eye opener never used to think of looking at the hitch pin.

Don't forget to check the nut on the trailer ball. I towed from Minnetonka to Red Lake just fine. On the way back just south of the lake and before Kelliher the snowmobile trailer was swinging back and forth like a dog wagging its tail. Very high pucker factor. I braked gently and the tongue rode on the safety chains just like it is supposed to. My buddy stayed with the trailer and I went back to West Winds and was lucky that they had a new ball of the correct size.

Make sure the license plates/tabs are up to date.

This may be over kill but a spare lens for the tail light may be something to consider.

getting pulled over every 75 miles for piant reasons could get old.