• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So... Nightcrawlers....?

Laska

Just wonddering if any of you guys use Nightcrawlers on a regular basis for cats, Its all I have right now besides leaches, Im looking to head out tonight with my wife from around 9:30pm to 1:30am and Im wondering if you guys have any luck fishing crawlers for cats, or leaches for cats, I have stink bait from the store but I dont believe the [PoorWordUsage] works and it keeps flushing outta by bait holder every 5mins so heck with that, I havent caught I cat this year and I wanna catch one DARN IT! Anyone have any ideas? I havent caught any cats yet this year with stink bait, cut suckers or crawlers, anyone have any suggestions so I can catch one tonight? Im going to the 5am dam-spillway from shore n I know the cats were in there last year just need some tips to help me catch them. Thanks guys....

hey laska hows it been. nightcrawlers work but if you try and catch some minnows or some small bullies then use those for cut bait may work better. also stop at the bait store and ask for any dead suckers that they may have those work very good also or by a few suckers and use them for cut bait. hope this helps and we should get together for some kitty one of these days. good luck

Thanks elwood! Id like to catch some bullies, but I havent had much luck, I set a trap out over night a couple times n nothing, and I know the bullhead pop is high in the only lake that is by me so I dont know what to try for them, I can have a bait tank set up in an hour if I could just catch the darn things. Id like to go cattin with ya sometime soon, but I dont have much moeny for travel, I just bought a house with my wife on top of saving some for travel for spearfishing this winter-plan on being gone every weekend! wink so money is tight but if you'd like to come down to the winona area sometime and try the mississpi river for some cats I have a 14ft flat bottom or we could just go from shore. Let me know Id love to go fishin!

p.s. any tips period about cats would be awsome, n by the way the Muds n Channels are spawning down here right now- My grandpa got into a shallow spawning ground yesterday- tryin that tomorrow!

out of curiosity.....how do you hook a bullhead?

when using them do you use them as cutbait or alive?

Hook them under the last fin near the tail...forgot the technical term but oh well. And depending on whether you're fishing in waters with Flatheads or just Channels you will want to present the bait accordingly.

The much larger Flathead Catfish love live bait, so hook the Bullie so it will stay alive and kickin' as long as possible. If you hook it right you can use the same one all night long. People typically use octopus j-hooks for Flats and use a free spool mode such as a clicker and then set the hook.

If you're fishing waters with Channel Cats only or just want to target them instead then use cutbait. Bullheads make really nasty cutbait but the Channels love it. Cut behind the gills and then in thirds and use the pieces for 20-30 minutes at a time as long as they stay fresh and stinky. Use a circle hook with cutbait and keep a tight line and let the fish hook itself.