Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave S

Need help with bird I.D.

5 posts in this topic

I just had a visitor on my patio. A bird of which I have never seen before. Sorry no pics.

It was about the size of a cardinal. But the beak was longer and narrower. Almost like a blue jay's beak. The head had a crest on it.

Body color was brown, with a light yellow belly changing to white towards the throat of the bird. I know it wasn't a Waxwing, catbird, thrasher or female cardinal.

I'm baffled. I couldn't find any pics of this bird. Any help with an i.d. would be greatly appreciated.

Check the great crested flycatcher and western kingbird. While the kingbird doesn't have a crest per se, it can elevate the feathers on top of its head somewhat, which can look like a crest.

I saw a few summer tanagers today. not known to go this far north from what I found out, they get to southern iowa.

Check the great crested flycatcher and western kingbird. While the kingbird doesn't have a crest per se, it can elevate the feathers on top of its head somewhat, which can look like a crest.

A Great Crested Flycatcher it is. Thanks Steve. I agree with the description that I found which includes an audio clip of it's song. They're easier to hear than to see. I know I've heard them quite often, just never fortunate enough to see one this close.