Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minnesocold

Evinrude 25hp (year 74) motor questions

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I just bought a used Lund 14' with Evinrude 25hp, the motor has manual start. First couple days, it was started ok at first pull. But recently last couple days, I just can't get it to start. I'm totally new to boat motors. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Does the ball on the fuel line pump up, is it getting fuel do you know?

The ball get tight after few squeezes so I'm assume the ball on fuel line does pump fuel up to the engine.

How do I know for sure if it does bump up fuel to the engine ?

You can stick somethink in the end of the fuel line and see if fuel come out. If you are get fuel check to see if your get spark.

This may be a silly question but what is the best way to see if I get spark ? or Do i have to buy tool to able to test it ?

take out a plug and pull the rope and watch the spark plug.

make sure the plug is grounded to the engine before cranking.. what kinda gas are you running? also try some sea foam or a good carb cleaning should make er run good!

Hi Guys,

I tested the fuel line and the result it the fuel does come out from the fuel line.

I also tested its 2 spark plugs and saw that they were sparked, plus the 2 spark plug are pretty much new. Accord to the previous owner, he said he replaced those 2 spark plugs last spring, but I have no problem to replace new one if it's necessary. Note: when I take the 2 spark plug off the engine, I saw the spark plugs were kind of wet(by fuel) at their top where they contact to the engine, not sure if they've gotten too much fuel !? I heard if the engine gets too much fuel at a time, it may not able to run.

I use unleaded 87 and mix with 2 cycle oil for my evinrude.

I heard peoples talked about sea foam, and I've found one from autozone {Please read forum policy before posting again, Thank you}, Is that the right one? how do I suppose to use it ? Thanks.

When your done for the day unplug the fuel line from the outboard for the ride home. Plug back in when you get to the lake.

This will ensure your carbs bowl isn't overflowing and flooding the engine. That is especially true if your trailing with the outboard tilted up.

Squeeze primer bulb up till firm/choke/turn throttle to start position and pull.

teh good stuff is in a white can with a bunch of things like mowers, weed wackers, boat motor ect on the can.

I heard that the motor should not be started when it isn't in the water.

if that's true then what is the safest way to start the motor when my boat isn't on the lake ?

Just bought the sea foam can. On the engine, where do I support to spray ? Thanks a lot.

With that motor you'll have to run it in a barrel or garbage can.

The sea foam these guys are talking about looks like this:

seafoam.jpg

And is added directly to the gas.

marine_man