• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best baitcaster?

CPRBASS

I am in the market for a new baitcaster. It has been a few years since I have had to buy one so I am looking for suggestions. The reel I am replacing is primarily used for plastics, but I am just looking for the best all around reel. Thanks in advance for your input.

I left it open-ended because I wanted to see what kind of responses I would get. To answer some of your questions, I want to stay under $200-$250 and will probably go with the old standby 6:1 gear ratio.

Well I haven't used too many baitcasters for too long, but I love my Abu Revo Toro... the whole series has gotten good reviews, as well as the Curado. Both of those series are about your price range

I would look at the Curado or the Revo’s . If you really like centrifugal breaks I would go with a Curado over the Revo’s that have the centrifugal breaking system because its a lot easier to get the side plate off the Curado’s IMO. Some of the Revo's come with mag breaks and some with centrifugal so you have some good options to choose from in the Revo line. I like my Revo SX slightly better than my Curado and they both are in the same price range 170ish.

I have always had good luck with Shimano reels too. I had a chance to check out the Revo's tonight and they seem like a quality reel.

Has anybody had any luck with Pflueger reels, good or bad?

REVO STX, my buddy is selling a brand new on [YouNeedAuthorization] for $145 (don't know if this is against the rules for stating this)

I would have bought it if I needed another baitcaster. Anyone else hit that crazy yard sale in wbl, he was a abu garcia vendor... He had like 8 REVO STX's brand new nearly half off. Picked up a nice wooden rod stand for $30, holds 32 rods.

Like many have suggested, its seems like the top of the line low profile levelwinds are Shimano and Abu.. Being on the shimano staff has my loyalty to them. I have a few of the new Cruado and really think for the money they cant be beat. I have let freinds use them and they are amazed. But as many have stated the Revo is a good reel as well.. My personal fave baitcaster now is the Core, but its a little out of your price range.

LMAO @ Muddog!!!!

hard to say.. to me it is.. but then again, I am a junkie for equipment. I have 2 of them, one with and one without the instage flipping bar.. I would say hat the regular core may not be worth the extra moolah, the core feels better to me, dont get me wrong, but the feel is not the $$ for the difference between the two. I know I measured weight wise a Core/Cumara Combo against a Steez and the Core/Cumara was lighter.

I love the instage flipping switch, and plan to get at least one more core with that next year. Just cant afford it this year.

CPRASS - Pflueger makes awesome reels for the money. For under the $150 mark or so, they are the way to go in my mind. I use a wide variety of them and I have never had issues with them. Also, the Johnny Morris Bass Pro series has an amazing reel for about $160.

But, for as much money as you are looking to spend, the Curado or Revo would be my vote, unless you buy 2 $125 Pfluegers, then you're set for 2 rigs!

You can get the old version of the quantum pt tour editions for around 120$ They cost 279 but they came out with a new model this year so the old ones are a great buy. I have picked up three of them over the last year and they are awesome. I like it MUCH better than the curado I have. Plus I figure if they are good enough for KVD to use they are good enough for me.

All right to be fair. I have 3 Shimano baitcasters and I've used Shimano baitcasters for over 20 years. I just had a Bantam 1000 go bad on me. I've had the reel for 20 years! I was going to use it for spare parts but I'm thinking of replaceing the bearings and putting it back to work. That reel has been with me a long time and has helped me win a few tournaments (the reel was new then).

Shimano is good stuff!

Now in 2-3 weeks we can do this all over again! Some of you can.

You can get the old version of the quantum pt tour editions for around 120$ They cost 279 but they came out with a new model this year so the old ones are a great buy. I have picked up three of them over the last year and they are awesome. I like it MUCH better than the curado I have. Plus I figure if they are good enough for KVD to use they are good enough for me.

I have one of the Quantum PT Tours, and a new Revo. Having used both, I would choose the Quantum. Dont get me wrong, the Revo is a nice reel, but I like the other one better. If I could go back in time, I would have grabed two.

I purchased a REVO ST and an STX at the sports show this past winter and have LOVED them so far this season. I get great distance when cranking, its a great pitching and flipping reel, and I have had limited to NO backlashes once I got it all dialed in. It was worth the money IMO.

ALL-IN

In addition, I did purchase a few of the quantums when they were dropping the price for the new style that came out. I got two of the Tour Editions, one burner and one 6:3, also picked up a Energy PT for half price and have been happy with all of them. All around great reels for different situations, and the price was RIGHT when they were rolling over to the new series.

ALL-IN

I own 3 Pflueger Presidents, a Summit, a machined Trion, and a Cetina. The President is a great 6.3:1 ratio reel. The price is affordable and it has held up to my abuses over the past 5 years. It has the centrifugal braking system. I think you can still find the older version of the Presidents for around $100.