• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie..check that off the list

Whisker Warrior

So I've never caught a muskie and i just got back from my first ever guided muskie trip in alexandria. Being early season i didn't expect much but the rates were cheap and thought why not. I went with a Smeese and our guide was David from MuskyStalker. Great guy and definitely knows his stuff. We head out on a beautiful day and ended up fishing from noon to 1130pm throwing multiple presentations and using different strategies that he said not to mention. anyways we had around 5-6 follows which two were 45in+ and I ended up boating the only fish a nice 40" that went 20lbs...trying to talk the guide into coming down for some catfishing because he only goes after big fish now.

40in20lbs.jpg

WW,

Congrats on your first! Very nice healthy looking fish! Glad to hear you had a good time fishing with Dave. He is a friend of mine and one heck of a fisherman. I've learned a lot from fishing with him.

And to think before this trip got schedule you thought fishing the toothy beast was a waste of time ;)I agree we will have to go back. Something about that clear water up there that really makes it more intresting. Those follows were huge......maybe next time I will beat that 40"er. Also a second kudos to Dave for really knowing his stuff

After my 1st muskie, I didn't cross it off the list, I made room to do more of it. grin And now I have rods, reels, cowgirls, showgirls, bulldawgs, pacemakers, topraiders, rad dogs, jakes, believers, etc, etc, etc. Expensive little hobby. wink

After my 1st muskie, I didn't cross it off the list, I made room to do more of it. grin And now I have rods, reels, cowgirls, showgirls, bulldawgs, pacemakers, topraiders, rad dogs, jakes, believers, etc, etc, etc. Expensive little hobby. wink

What you catching those muskies on? wink

Originally Posted By: hanson

What you catching those muskies on? wink

None of the Above. grin

Yep I am a closet Musky guy also:

3622307883_d4c7a657bf.jpg

This is an image from last year. Since then I spent some more money whistleeek. Got into Double Cowgirls and Showgirls and I could not stop grin

I know this topic has been brought up before and it caused members on both sides (flats and musky’s) to cross over. Myself included. I figure why not since Mille Lacs is not far from me at all. No fish yet, and only a hand full of trips last year, but that could change during flat spawn time.

The equipment needed for musky’s is very similar to what we use for catfishing. If anything I have added some things in my boat for cats that I have found while talking to musky guys. The same can be said for the musky guys I have talked with (pertaining to night fishing in a boat stuff).

Muskys by no stretch of the imagination are superior to flatheads but they have gained my respect as being one of the big fish in MN.

Nice ski Whisker Warrior smile

Thanks guys! I hope this wont be my last one. i plan on taking another trip with Dave. i would love to fish them more but its hard to invest that type of money when the closest waters are 40-50+ miles away( French then cities) plus no boat. They are quite the fish though and cant wait to battle another! Now back to business....where are those piggies???

I'm the other way around, I need to cross the big cats off my list. Congrats and welcome to a whole new world of frustration. I was after them today, threw everything in my box with no luck, switched up and threw a Senko for bass and a ski decided to follow that. Now I need to figure 8 my bass baits too...