Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SapperACE

Whats the deal?

11 posts in this topic

I see on here all the time... people who get really frustrated when people ask about a topic that has been discussed in the past. They are always saying "look in the archives" of "here we go again". I do not believe that all people who refer people to the archives are this way... many are just trying to show the person inquring, info that had been discussed in the past, and some even post a link to it which is great. I just don't like it when people make comments that imply that their time is being wasted or something. If thats the case, don't read it.

I don't see what the big deal is if people ask the same things over and over. Lots of people are new on here everyday, or maybe they just don't want to read through the archives. Maybe they just want fresh answers from people who may not have chimed in before. Just my opinion I guess.

Or there could be somebody with some new or updated information that may have missed in past post. Another new person to FM may be able to add something also.

Sapper, like you I have been bothered by that from time to time. The archives are quite weighty and the topics are not always categorized well (Threads drift off topic as I'm sure you're well aware). The people who say "Check the archives" and then don't provide a link are essentially saying it's too hard for them to get around too.

I have made extensive use of the advanced search feature, which has been my lifeline for sifting through the info on this site for just the stuff I want to read about.

All said and done, this is a FREE site offered to the public (Thanks FM People! smile ) and has become the ONLY site I go to for local fishing reports. I can't speak for other areas of the site but the guys in the Catfish Forum are extremely helpful and accommodating to newcomers!

As technology improves and advertising revenue comes in hopefully the people who own FM.com will try new things to make it easier for us to find our way around the older material.

Take a look at a list of the sponsors - there's a good chance that you do business with one or more of them.... Be sure to tell them that you saw them here. Who knows- maybe we'll get to try out a "FM.com Beta" one of these days! cool

I know what you mean, that search function on this site isnt the best and is frustrating at times. I still use it but alot of stuff is hard to find

I dont think its a big deal.. someone may not have the time to always do a search. I say ask, ask again, and keep on asking.

Probably since the internet's very first forum it is general etiquette to at least make a reasonable effort to find the info on your own before starting a new topic. And a simple tip to anyone searching: if you type long lake into search it will find all occurrences of the word long and of the word lake, however if you type "long lake" it will only find results with those words appearing consecutively.

It can be frustrating on both sides of this issue.

There have been times in which a duplicate question has been asked within hours of each other in the same forum. Those of us that spend hours and hours on here helping out and answering questions try to keep things fresh so that things aren't repeated over and over, but in some cases the answer is right there plain as day.

I can't speak for other forums, but a well thought out question (even the most commonly asked ones) by a member that seems genuinely interested, will be answered within minutes over in the Catfish forum. I believe that goes for most forums here.

Do a search, this has been discussed before!! winkgrinwhistle

Darn! I was going to say that! smile

I like when somebody takes the time to paste a link to previous threads. Now THAT is helpful.

I agree that if you can help, answer well formed and well intentioned questions.

That said, I like the search here, it is one of the main reasons to log into the site, since you can't use it without logging in.

BUT - The advanced search here is not easy to use at all. Here's some tips:

1) Use the advanced search link instead of just typing in the search box. Advanced search has its issues, but will make you happier if you use it.

2) Advanced search - the screen is abnormally wide, you have to scroll way over right to get all the features, options, and buttons. There's some forum names that are ridiculously long that mess this advanced search page layout up big time.

2) Advanced search - if you can narrow down your query to one or just some forums, it gives better results. Scroll through and click the forum to limit the search to, or use CONTROL-KEY and click to select multiple forums.

3) Advanced search - Scroll waaaaaaay over right and use the "search titles only" for your first search. I do this a lot, since I figure I'll get the most relevant info from someone who took the time to include mys earch word(s) in their title. If I don't find anything, only then will I open it up to both title and message body - cause them I start getting a lot of junk posts I don't want.

4) Advanced search - time frame. FM limits your search, by default, to only the past week. Crazy! Advanced search lets you use up to a 3 year timeframe. I run my first search for posts "newer than 3 years old". Then I go 6 years old to 3 years old" and so on.

5) Advanced search - open up the floodgates and display as many search hits as you can handle, instead of having only 25 per page.

6) Advanced search - you have to scroll down and possibly over to find the silly search/submit button.

When I'm searching, I'm usually looking for a particular lake name. So I go to advanced search, select the MN forum that has the lake I'm interested in, limit the search to title only, oppen up the number of hits per page, and search 3 years back. After I go through all those posts, I search again, but this time 3-6 years back, etc.

If I'm searching for products, I leave it as All forums, but I still use title only and search 03-, then 3-6 years back.

Advanced search is a pain, but it works good if you use it and tweak it.

The one thing about the archives, while being difficult to search, depending about how specific your topic / answer is, is that there is a wealth, and I mean a wealth of information there. In some of the regional forums there's more than enough to pattern fish year over year and what's been working at certain times of the year.

marine_man