• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum flasher, any word yet?

Question

If I was in the makret for a new unit, I would stick with Vexilar.
This new unit looks like a re-vampted colorpoint, and we all know all the problems there were with them.
Vexilar has been a proven rock solid tool for ice fishermen for ever, why change?

Just my opinion...! grin.gif

Skeets makes a good point about Vexilar's durability. I also have been looking at the new Marcum, it's new, it's sexy and powerful and my 18 yr old FL-8 seems to be on it's last legs. Wait a minute, did I just 18 yr old FL-8 that's never been in the shop? Why would I ever consider buying anything else with that kind of performance.

this is going to b very very interesting after more results come n,i like a lot of phools r just itching to upgrade but im going to stick with my vex fl-8slt for the moment

I've never had a problem with my color point. It seems to me that most (not all) of the people who say bad things about the color points have never owned one. Consider that just maybe there could be something better than a vex. (suddenly I feel like I have a bulls eye painted on me) shocked.gif

CNY TIM just got a new Marcum. He say's it's got an adjustable zoom. That sound interesting. But I don't like to buy a first year model. Vexlar has already made improvements to the 18. Might be best to wait and see.

Wate a year and see if they are around next year. They are a revampt colorpoint. If you nead a unit now and can afford it get a 18, if you do you will be happy you did. I like others posted wont buy it if it hasnt proven itself first. Vexilar has done that. Just my 2 cents.

I'm very happy with my 8. However MarCum may
have the interference battle won.
Does it use the old color point technology? If it does I think that means no moving parts and longer battery life. Plus adjustable zoom. I've been thinking about upgrading. Might give it one more season.

Here's my take on this subject; I would love to test drive the new Marcum Lx-3 and see what all the fuss is about. Not just on the ice but compare it against my Zercom LCF-40 in the boat also. Problem is I am married, and for the sake of peaceful matrimony I just can't buy a new toy when the old toy still works. The spoken thought could get me shot or banished to the couch for a night or two. frown.gif
Since my Zercom refuses to quit even while doing double time on the open water as well as the ice year after year, what am I to do? Perhaps Marcum could offer some kind of trade-in incentive in order to win over market share?!(hint,hint) wink.gif
It would not be easy to hand over my Zercom. How can I realistically complain about a piece of electronic equipment I spent $229.00 on six years ago? The honest answer is I cannot. Nor can I knock the customer service when through my negligence I needed to have it returned for repair. The turnaround time was fantastic and the company threw in a couple of new transducers to boot at no extra charge.
Zercom is the company that forced Vexilar to improve their product or share a large chunk of the market. Zercom was technologically superior to the Vexilars, but the Zercom lacked two things,..I/R and color. Then came the union of Zercom and the H-bird. The "H-bomb" to the consumer as far as Zercom was concerned. I never gave a **** about the flashing colors and such as long as I had my grayscale,target separation and real time sonar. When the hummingbird buyout came us Zercom boys were left holding the bag so to speak.
I have been waiting for years to see who would be next to challenge Vexilars market share. Zercoms Colorpoint had to many false starts to gain the trust of the average joe fisherman. Will Marcums LX-3 have the staying power needed to inch it's way into the market? Can Marcum build on the successes and failures of it's predecessors as well as capitalize on it's competitors weaknesses?
I hope so but I think Marcum has already made a marketing error by having an introductory list price as high as it's main competitor . Are we supposed to think that's a deal? I would be less hesitant to buy the Marcum if it were priced substantially below the Vex's 18. Like it or not Marcum, the Vexilar has a proven track record. I can say that and I have never even owned one! Once the technology proves itself the demand will be there and you can always raise the price, right? I really need to see one of these units in action so I can stop venting! Who has ICE? Have shack-will travel,TROY

[This message has been edited by Aqua Eye (edited 11-24-2002).]

It seems to me that an adjustable zoom isn't necessary. You only need zoom to focus in on the bottom hugging fish. Why would you want to zoom in on a fish that is suspended? Just my .02 S21

The competition for the best flasher is awesome think about it a few years back, it was the tried and true Vexilar FL8SLT with the sporadically working interference rejection and crappy target separation, compared to the colorpoint with quality control issues, lack of an interference rejection, and crisper display. Both units have there positives and negatives. Durability has been Vexilars and understandably, they are the top dog and there customer service is above reproach along with there reputation, but even they knew to stay the top dog they needed to make some refinements, hence the FL-18. I don't have an FL-18 so I can't compare the new Marcum LX-3 to it but I owned an FL8SLT and was very satisfied with it, but noticed some improvements that needed to be made with this unit. The professional ice fisherman demands a multi level functioning system that is durable, user friendly, and is effective on multiple species.

Remember fella's competition is a good thing.

If you think that this unit is like the old Colorpoint your sorely mistaken, the basic technology has been there with it's target separation and display, the refinements with the MarCum LX-3 are an adjustable zoom which in any unit with flasher technology has not been achieved, until now! A zoom window that's adjustable in size as well is a first! In the 20' setting you can have a 5' or 10' window with the push of a button, and adjustable for the ENTIRE WATER COLUMN, not just 6' on the bottom FL-18 users. Not all fish reside in the bottom 6'!!!
This technological break through will help me when I am fishing crappie suspended in deep water most of the fish I catch are in 34' of water and the crappies are at 23-26'. If I push zoom on the FL-18 I am not going to see these fish in the FL-18 zoom mode. With the MarCum I can push zoom once and have a 5' window, push it twice and have a 10' window and then just hit the down arrow twice and I have 1" target separation and there are my fish... Now thats technology!!! and will be another used feature with my deep water bluegill fishing...
And if you like lake trout this technology you CANT LIVE WITHOUT, you need that adjustable zoom, you demand it!
The new MarCum patented digital charging system now enables one plug technology no more clips and leads. A large LED read out with a clear display that let's you monitor your batteries charge level hands free. An interference rejection that has 6 zone settings and hopefully one will work. Just the soft case alone is a work of art, insulated, fully accessible, rubber feet to keep the unit off the ice. A huge improvement as compared to the tippy vexilar econo soft pack. This unit is whisper quiet not like my FL8SLT that sounded like an approaching huey landing at times. I will be able to actually hear what's going on with my buddy's outside my fish trap.
I am an icefisherman that fishes hard like alot of others and I demand durability and customer service, this question has yet to answered by the MarCum but I will find out. Vexilars durability is fantastic I would like to hear what user's are saying about the FL-18. I know that the FL-18's had to be tweaked and Vexilar answered the call in fine fashion upgrading the software and getting them back quick to there customers. All I can say is if you owned a Colorpoint and liked it your gonna love the MarCum. If your still using your FL-8's and don't mind waiting for that upgrade I will be posting honest assesments of this unit as I use it through the season. Both units are competitevly priced. But I agree that they should have provided an incentive deal of some sort for the loyal colorpoint users. 2 year full warranty as the FL-18. and 20 degree transducer, I think the FL-18 comes with a 12 degree?

Remember that a sonar is just a tool alot of other variables make you a successful or unsucessful ice fisherman.

MarCum Technologies is a respected leader in Military Technology. They knew they had something there when they started the colorpoint but sold the rights to Zercom before the refinements could be made. Now that they have the rights back they have finished what they started.
All these new developments have been tested by there personnel and I am confident knowing there reputation in defense contracting that this unit is ready to compete. Will it knock off the FL-18, only time will tell.

The Vexilar fans that knock the Colorpoint should really thank them because the new and improved FL-18 is a direct result of a competition drive by Zercom's product line. As far as technology right now the FL-18 is a dinosaur compared to the MarCum LX-3 will this spur Vexilar on to develop the FL-28? Time will tell.

Let's see how these unit's play out before we jump to conclude. MarCum has an up hill battle... Will they answer the call? Can they be as good as Vexilar's service? Who knows but it will be interesting to find out,eh...

You have heard the things I liked about the MarCum LX-3 now I will discuss some smaller yet issues that need to be noted. Cabelas shipped my LX-3 and the transducer was never secured in the protected bubble pack when received, I would make sure that they taped the plastic sleeve closed so that the transducer is protected during shipment. The zoom, I.R. down and up buttons are small so if you have sausage fingers it will be slight inconvenience. The uni connectors for the power head and DCS(digital charging system) had to be modified slightly to slide on to the terminal battery prongs...

I will tell you this, if this thing is junk you will hear it here first.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-24-2002).]

CNY Tim, Good post that held a good chunk of info about the MarCum LX-3.

Will the MarCum hold up as good as the Vexilar? I guess we will have to wait and see.

I do like the zoom mode on it, that might make a big difference in seeing suspended fish like crappies. And also there is a couple of other things that I dont like that probly tell me to wait 1 year yet.

If the price was a little lower on the unit, I also think there would be more people buying the MarCum LX-3.

But since I just bought a Fl-18 I wont be trying out a MarCum LX-3 unless i get to burrow one from a buddy.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 11-24-2002).]

CNY Tim

Has anyone set one of these units up next to a Vex yet? I am interested in knowing if there will be interference like that which occurred between the Zercoms and the Vexs. I know they both have the IF settings but we also know how some of them worked with the Zercoms and the Vexs too. Depending on how many units you have crowding you there was times when there was interference unless you kept continually hitting IF buttons. There are many features that I like about the Marcum units. Most of which you have mentioned. I am just waiting to hear some reports.

Jeff
Scenic Tackle

CNY Tim- That was a work of art to read, thank you for your assessment of things. I was hoping you would address the issue of how quiet or not the Marcum Lx3 is to operate. I for one am happy to hear such rave reviews for the technology. Now if we can somehow convince Marcum to spend a little more effort and $ in the packaging department, huh? Please keep those updates rolling,-TROY

cnyTim,
Does the MarCum have the moving parts that the Vex has?
I'm certainly no tech head but it seems to me that would be the way to go as there would be no noise, nothing to wear out, and less battery demand.
If everything else is equal it looks like MarCum will be the way to go.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Great topic guys. CNY Tim, you are absolutely right...Competition is a good thing and it does spur on improvements.

I can hardly wait to see what happens next year in the competition to stay ahead with the best.

As I said in your last MarCum post like this one a week or so ago in this same forum, Tim...great research. Now only time and a number of researchers using it will tell the current state of competition.

I'm still using my FL8 SLT and it's working just fine for me. However, I can't say what type of improvement the other two may give over it or over each other.

CNY Tim,

You wouldn't happen to be a sales rep for Mar Cum, would you be?

Just curious.

Good luck with your new purchase.

I hope Vexilar comes out with a FL-28, Fl-38 ans Fl-48. I would probably buy all three! grin.gif

Now, Now, Skeets. Just because Mill's Fleet won't be carrying the Marcum doesn't mean you have to go and be like that. wink.gif I think it will be interesting to see if any of the sports stores in the area will get a chance to mark -um- up. Being in the business and all, what have you heard. Care to share? Are these new flashers only available through Cabelas?

[This message has been edited by Aqua Eye (edited 11-24-2002).]

fishstunner - your absolutely right we won't know anything on this unit for at least a year. I just can't keep my mouth shut about this thing maybe cause i have taken the time to get as much information as I can on it. Two of my buddies has the FL-18 and last season had all kinds of problems with it so I let one of em borrow my colorpoint till he got things figured out that there was something wrong and sent it back and can't wait to try it all fixed now. He's had it fixed for a while now and is just chomping at the bit to get on top, like all of us who haven't yet this season. Hopefully there won't be any bugs with the MarCum but will findout when the rubber meets the road. There both expensive for spinning wheels and brushes.

Jeff Beckwith - That's one of the first things I am gonna test is this interference rejection theory. that is a key component for combat ice fishing. When putting the unit through the motions on the bench you can actually here the signal pulse rates change in all six settings.

Aqua Eye - Whisper quiet I demo'd it for a couple of my buddies and it's silent a matter of fact when you turn it on it beeps once and then that's the only way you know that the unit is running, amazing. My colorpoint was always quieter than my vex anyway... Stay tuned and the updates will fly,inquiring minds want to know.

esoxlucious - I like you man.. You sound like myself when I first started ice fishing with an eagle Fish I.D. 128. Yes the MarCum has moving parts and the reason it requires more juice is because it relies on a crisp clean display, it updates at a faster rate than the vexilar technology hence the precision clear display and zoom features that require more power. But wait for the test reports before you jump in.

Skeets - Know I am not affiliated with any organization other than the ice shanty gang, we represent a family of ice fisherman that span across 7 states and Canada, for the better part of 5 years. We bring ideas, educate, have fun, fight, cry and hug just like a family. We have a crack group of individuals that know ice fishing in the U.S. and internationally as well, and one of our many goals is to inform and educate that is all.

Let me try this again. I was under the impression that the zoom feature was to enable a fisherman to distinguish a bottom hugging fish from the bottom. If a fish is suspended, I will see it on the right hand side of the vex. No need to zoom on that. I know it's not the bottom. If zooming in on this fish just makes the line (fish) bigger, what's the point of that? Just move your bait and catch the fish. It sounds to me that all of the so called "professional ice anglers" are just splitting hairs. While I'm on the subject what exactly constitutes A professional ice fisherman anyway? A lot of people who post on here seem to be Professional ice fisherman and i was just wondering by what criteria are you going by. I mean just because your good at catching sunnies doesn't mean your a professional. I'm a scratch golfer and i've never called myself a pro golfer. Any way just my .02 boys.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Well steve21,
there aren't many professional ice fishermen. That is to say that there aren't many who make their living ice fishing.

What you have here are varying levels of ice fishing experience. From Pro's to people just learning how to ice fish.

Obviously the more you get out and the more you come in contact with other techniques/technologies, the more you are going to know abou it.

Now, if you're aiming this at CNY Tim and his claims. From what I know of him, and it isn't much, he really enjoys testing the new techniques/technology in New York. From what I've read so far from him, I'd say he is a true Ice Leader. He loves being on the leading edge.

The thing about being on the leading edge is sometimes the things you try just plain ol' don't work. Which means he will know that and can pass that experience along. He can also pass things along that in his opinion work.

Now, as for New York ice fishing. I will go on record saying that some of the best ice anglers in the world live there and they have some darn good ice fishing close by as well. Buffalo, New York is right next to Lake Erie and many other good fishing lakes. They are just a short hop into Canada close to a fish factory called lake Simcoe. That's just a small sample of what they have there.

Maybe the anglers from New York can do a much better job filling usin than I can.

Is CNY Tim a valuable resource? I'd say he is. You'll find hundreds of others as good, some better, and some still getting on the learning curve.

I think, just like in any fishing environment, there is not a single best way or best product out there for everyone. There is also no best place to fish for everyone.

What you will get steve21 is a lot of different opinions on everyone's individual truths that seem to work just fine for them. It's the same even among the professionals.

It's just another part of ice fishing that keeps it interesting, seemingly always improving and most of all "Just Plain Ol' Fun".

CNYTIM,
Very much appreciate the feedback regarding the MarCum unit. Gettin' antsy to upgrade. I'll just have to be patient and wait one more season. Thanks again for advice.
steve21,
Yep, I be perfessional. Lern't everythin'I know from Foss Farley.
Just funnin' ya bud. Just keep readin' and learnin'!