Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RECOIL

Lowrance HDS units

13 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with the HDS units not locking into bottom, or doing so very slowly? I know this has always been common in very shallow water, but it happens to me in deeper water as well (6ft+). It usually locks in, but sometimes after many minutes. I tried what they said on the Lowrance HSOforum with no success. The response I keep getting is that these are "very high powered units", but that doesn't do me much good if I have a blank screen for 10 or 20 minutes every time I move.

I'm not having that problem at all, my HDS has been getting a depth reading right away and holding it.

In the last week over the THICK, shallow milfoil in Minnetonka it would occasionally lose the depth for a second but it always gets it back right away. I haven't adjusted my sensitivity and ping speed since this started happening, but I have them both set high and I think if I bump them down it will work better over the milfoil. I've been using it in shallow weeds a lot and it's been working great, drawing a nice picture and showing weeds, botttom, fish, bait, etc.

Make sure you have the right transducer selected in the installation menu, it defaults to generic but you should select the one you're using. Set the unit to 200 kHz and set it to shallow water mode. After that you can tweak the sensitivity and ping speed. Those are the setting that have worked best for me. Try it in deeper water first so you don't have the shallow water / weed concerns, and if you're still having trouble then try it with EVERYTHING else in your boat turned off (motor too) to make sure you rule out the possibility of electrical interference. If it still doesn't work then push Lowrance to get you a new transducer.

PJ - thanks. The trouble is that I have two units and the one on the bow is hooked up to my trolling motors universal transducer. They are both having the bottom lock problem... and not just over weeds, but also out in like 10ft. with no weeds. I also tried to turn only one unit on at a time and still have the problem. I have a friend with an HDS-5 with the same issues. I'm pretty sure that I have the correct transducer selected, but I will double check on that. It's very strange but when they do work, they look great.

Many mistakes with these units are with the transducers, make sure you have yours set correctly.

Many mistakes with these units are with the transducers, make sure you have yours set correctly.

I agree. Make sure you have the right transducer selected, put the unit on 200 kHz, select the shallow water sonar option, and go from there.

Thanks guys. I went out this weekend and sat down with the book. I think it was a combination of settings that was giving me the trouble. Should be all set with the bottom lock issue.

New issue: The GPS trail will be tracking fine and then it will become a straight line. Its as if the point at which this occurs is point "A" and the current boat position is "B" and the GPS trail just shows a straight line connecting A and B. Then randomly it starts working again. Any ideas?

Have you updated the software in your HDS, there have been 2 recent updates that improved map performance.

Thanks PJ. I thought that might have something to do with it. I have the latest update on an SD ready for install. Hopefully that clears it up.

Not to highjack but. Is anybody using the navionics chip with the HDS models? I have the new update installed and tried it in my shed and worked fine. Got to mille lacs yesterday and it only worked for 15 min and then went back to the blank screen. Tried everything and the chip won't work. Just wondering if it is just mine that is acting up or what? tried lowarance all day and the lines were busy or 30 min+ wait, will try tommorrow though.

Lowrance will probably tell you to try a soft reset. With the unit turned off press and hold the pages key and the power key until the unit turns back on.

I've only played around with my Nav card in the garage, I haven't used it in my HDS on the water yet. In the garage it worked fine.

skies, I have the HDS 7 and have been using the Navionics Premium chip since I updated it and it works fine. If the soft reset doesn't help, I'd call Lowrance. If you call, try calling Linda Colt, she's really great to deal with.

Linda Colt

1-800-324-1356 ext 8747

Direct Line 918-438-8747

Linda.colt@navico.com

When I've called her, I usually get her voice mail (she's been pretty busy) but she returns my call within an hour.

thanks for the replies. will try the soft reset and see if that does it.

THe soft rest worked. I was getting worried, I leave for devils lake on monday and I was counting on using the navionics chip up there. I have to say other than this mapping problem I relly like the graph.