• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cats on the Muddy Miss ?'s

Doop

My buddy and I are going to give river catfishing a try....probably in the Winona area. Anyone have any suggestions simply to get us started?

Is it legal to use live bluegills for bait? Any other good bait choices? Also wondering about set ups/presentations....sorry for the vagueness....just don't fish cats much. We have a couple evenings to waste so we are going to give it a try smile

Bluegills are not legal to use in MN for bait as with any other game fish. Not sure about the border waters. It seems like most people use bullheads (7" or less to be legal), sucker minnows or cut sucker, and creek chubs. Other roughfish like goldeyes, mooneyes, and sheephead has been used for cut bait. Bullheads are the easiest to keep alive. Use a heavier rod & reel incase you get a big one. For line I would go with 50lb - 80lb braid, or 30 - 40lb big cat mono. For starters, a general rule of thumb at night is shallower water adjacent to deeper water is where you want to try. It worked for us last night on the MN River. Check out the thread at the top of this page, lots of good info in there.