• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaders

TruthWalleyes

I was just out for the first time last night on the minnesota. Luckily i got 2 Flats, small though. I did run into a snag. I have 65lb braid and used 30lb big cat leader about 18". this way if i do get into a snag i don't loose my weight, just the hook. All you "Pro's" do you use a lighter test leader?

Catfishing61009005.jpg

My first Flat!

I don't rank into the pro status but here is what I do. I use 80 Suffix and I also use that same line as a leader. It does cost me some gear now and trhen in a snag but the lighter leader should never cost me a big fish.

On some other rods I use 65# Viscious braided line.

I would use a lighter line for a leader but worry that I may lose a fish or two due to it.

Congrats on the cats.

I use 40 lb Trilene Big Cat for my main line and for my leader, but I always take new line off the spool for the leader, not old line from the front of the reel.

The knots are normally your weakest spot in the line and it will likely break there no matter what. I'd rather lose a hook and sinker than the fish of the life time.

In the past I have used 40lb big game leader material. I caught some of my bigger fish on that set up. It seems to act as a shock absorber when using no stretch line and a stiff rod. Whatever line you use check it constantly for any abrasions.I am out of the leader material so now I just use a chunk of the main line, or leftovers from spooling up.

Yeah i agree Riverrat, i guess if the knots are what breaks first then i don't have to cut 50ft of line everytime i get snagged. Do you just wrap you line around a paddle or something and pull like a SOB to break it? Thats what i had to do last night...puts some marks in the paddle for sure!

I don't rank into the pro status but here is what I do.

the lighter leader should never cost me a big fish.

I agree 100%

I HATE mono for catfishing for the streach factor.....braid, you get it tight,and break it....mono, well thats another story. Braid, one weight for everything!

Yeah i agree Riverrat, i guess if the knots are what breaks first then i don't have to cut 50ft of line everytime i get snagged. Do you just wrap you line around a paddle or something and pull like a SOB to break it? Thats what i had to do last night...puts some marks in the paddle for sure!

I’m a believer that less knots are better. Probably the simplest method is letting your sinker slide right to your hook and then you only have one knot.

I don’t do that personally (at least not yet), but I know it works wink

Here’s what you need to break that line off. You surely don’t want to have to be cutting it and losing all that line.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ter#Post1790225

I'm a believer that less knots are better. Probably the simplest method is letting your sinker slide right to your hook and then you only have one knot.

I've heard a few people say this now, I'm just worried that my bait will be too free to roam around, but I guess it could happen the same with a swivel, I'm just so used to using a swivel that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it this way.

do you use a lighter test leader?

I use 65# HiVis PowerPro for my main line and I make my leaders out of the same line. When I respool new line on my reels I save the old line and make leaders out of it. I like to use HiVis line for my leaders so I can easily see it in the dark and the 65# test line is easy to tie. I don't worry about sacrificing a leader to save a sinker - the heck with the sinker - you may end up sacrificing a big fish to save a sinker.

Quote:
I've heard a few people say this now, I'm just worried that my bait will be too free to roam around, but I guess it could happen the same with a swivel, I'm just so used to using a swivel that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it this way.

Yep.

I have been playing around with what Dtro said. Makes casting bigger weights and large minnows much easier also. During the free fall I try to keep the bait tight with the bank sinker. When at the bottom and the rod is in the rod holder I crank up a bit to make sure the minnow is still up by the bank sinker. I mark the line with a Sharpie right by the guide on the reel and let out the amount of line I want. The Sharpie mark will give me an idea of how much of a leader I have going out to the minnow from the bank sinker.

The swivel is nice to minimize the twist of active bait though.

I run 65lb tuff line to a swivel and from that a 12-14 inch leader of the same lineI also do the same with my 80lb berkly super line. Idont like mono for a leader because one or two times of setting the hook and the mono knot breaks on the bottom side of the barrel swivel was enough for me.

I don't use leaders for mudeyes. A large bait will put a little room between itself and the weight...and if the bait pulls any extra line off your reel, I'd say your bullhead is over 7 inches grin

Now, the scariest thing...I haven't even wet a bullhead yet this year shock.gif

I use either a tiger rod MH or Boss #4 and Shimano tekota 600 I use 100 lb Power pro which I love.

To avoid leaving 50 ft of line when cutting off. I use a small 3 inch dowel that I cut and wrap with electrical tape, just wrap the line around a few times and you will either pull the snag out or break off right near the hook. This year Ive started using no swivel so the weight goes right down to the hook. I use no rolls when I do this to avoid clubbing the bully in the head at the cast.

I used to have this same thought process of using a mono leader to make it easier to break off a snag until I lost the fish of my life because of it. Just ask Kyle B, he was there. I hooked into a biggun and when I got it halfway to the boat it snapped. Two days later he calls me and says he knows a guy who hooked into a big fish at the same spot the next night and it had my same hook with my mono leader attached. The fish was over 45 lbs...

I use a 40lb mono leader and the only reason it would fail is if it was due to user error for example... Bad Knot, not checking for nicks in the line, not having drag set proper. I have yet to have a fish snap me off. Change leaders often!

Quote:
What benifits are there to leaders? Why use them?

It allows your bait to move around off the bottom for the most part instead of having the bait right down by the sinker.

Change leaders often!

Yep any discrepancy I just it out. 2-3 minutes (or less) you have a fresh strong one back on. Also fresh hook IMO is a good idea at least every time out. If I get a snag I check to see if the tip is rounded down or bent.

Quote:
What benifits are there to leaders? Why use them?

It allows your bait to move around off the bottom for the most part instead of having the bait right down by the sinker.

Originally Posted By: Rushing
Change leaders often!

Yep any discrepancy I just it out. 2-3 minutes (or less) you have a fresh strong one back on. Also fresh hook IMO is a good idea at least every time out. If I get a snag I check to see if the tip is rounded down or bent.

Why not just put a split shot on below the sliding sinker./ This has worked for me for 25 years

I tried the direct to hook method without a swivel last night and really liked it. I use 80 pound Power Pro and a 10/0 Gami. When I got a snag the hook straightened out, so less tackle lost.

It really convinced me that you are less likely to loose a big fish due to a knot failure. I used a snell knot and a rubber band to keep the weight a few inches away from the hook, but a split shot might be better.

I wouldn't use this with cutbait, as I think the line would twist too much. I think a lively bullhead will stay upright so line twist should not be a problem.